We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hi from Chiang Rai!

Which Chiang Rai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
hi from Chiang Rai!

Greetings from Chiang Rai! We came up this morning on the Green VIP bus and were met at the bus station by Surasak and Mon... The El Shadai orphanage pparent's and their new baby girl Suvimon. It was wonderful to have their smiling faces there waiting. We have checked into Baan Soontree. It's a really nice place... Only small but a lovely feel about it. There's a nice pool surrounded by two story bungalows. We had lunch in their little restaurant and are now waiting for Jermsak to pick us up to go to El Shadai. We're really excited to be going back.

We've got a whole heap of activities planned including making a huge banner covered in felt flowers. The children will assemble it by sticking and placing the flowers on. A friend has also made s huge banner with El Shadai on i and images of the children. It is stunning. I cant wait to give it to them....

Caroline.

Friends of.ours have

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hi from Chiang Rai!

Sorry about typo... Phone typing... I hate it.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hi from Chiang Rai!

Have a great stay in CR.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hi from Chiang Rai!

Have a great time in CR and let us know all about it.

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hi from Chiang Rai!

Have a great time at El Shadai and on the raft trip (we have it booked for the 19th, next month) say hello to JL for us.

Don't forget the Saturday Walking Street Market tomorrow night, we'll be waiting for a review.

I remember our first trip on the Green Bus up to CR.

They were showing some lame slapstick comedy on the TV (in Thai of cause). The cook and I would sneak a quick look at an old guy that was cackling his head off. He was oblivious to our gaze, his laughter was so real.

Have fun

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hi from Chiang Rai!

I think I've seen that same show on the bus. I love the sound effects they put in. Like zoing when someone turns their head quickly. On to more important things .... Wow, what an awesome afternoon at El Shadai. How do you ponder people who take in 22 kids plus their own three. We had an inspiring time there this afternoon. The place is looking so much better than we were last there... Thanks to a lot of work from forum members. The kids are on holidays and relaxed and happy.

We had dinner with Jermsak and his family and they sang for us, Jermsak on his new guitar. Multi talented man and so very generous.

Inaspin I will test out the raft for you but alas, we are back to C M late tomorrow.

I will post more when I have a key board.

C.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hi from Chiang Rai!

caroline, we are in chang rai as well and loving it. My son and I arrived late in the evening and checked into the Laluna which is about a 15 minute walk from cbd.

Spent the first day on a bike tour with Changrai bike tours and Mr B and his two brothers were excellent hosts. Road about 50kms for the whole day with lots of stops along the way. The morning part was around the local countryside, looking at various lesser known wats and the grand finale was the White Palace. Visually stunning with unique and quirky artwork currently being painted in the main temple. George Bush and Osama Bin Laden are heavily featured along with all the major superheros eg superman, spiderman etc,

Beautiful lunch at local cafe and then back on bikes for afternoon ride. The many tracks we road out to the caves was pretty flat with a couple of inclines but nothing too gruelling. Mr B and his brother had both been monks so they were able to share their many insights into their journey which often brought them out to the caves where they would meditate for hours. Back on the bike and it was out to the Karen Elephant Park and then a walk through the local village before our long tail boat ride back to Changrai. A delicious afternoon tea of deep fried banana together with banana and corn fritters which were delicious. A great trip and highly recommend.

Back to the hotel for a swim before heading walking to the main part of the cbd and a welcome foot and leg massage. Very cheap and my legs felt like new again. Walked around the night markets where we bought some CD's, some fake designer sunglasses for my son and two lovely scarves. The sports shop down the street has some excellent gear and my son got some new tennis shorts and a new shirt. He's happy. Now all I need is a lovely glass of wine and a good sleep.

Cyprus
Level Contributor
42 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hi from Chiang Rai!

Hello from Cyprus thks for your kind advise still trying to organise our first family trip to cm. hope you enjoy your holiday . Have fun!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hi from Chiang Rai!

sorry about my typing as well, now can't sleep after two glasses of wine so sitting in bed typing on the laptop. Main lights turned off with only bed lamp and young son happily snoring his head off. Outside sounds like a storm is approaching, the wind is blowing and it has just started to rain. I am sure the weather will be wonderful tomorrow.

Inaspin, might give the spa a miss tonight but son did use this afternoon after I gave him your instructions. Thanks

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hi from Chiang Rai!

Millsie. You should do this as a seperate post. Many would be interested to read about your adventures in CR. It will not be seen by so many tacked onto the end of this post.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hi from Chiang Rai!

yes, agree and will do for the remainder of our time in chang rai. Just started typing and kept going.