We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costs of Taxis and Tuk Tuk in Chiang Rai

Which Chiang Rai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
796 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Costs of Taxis and Tuk Tuk in Chiang Rai

We are booked for two nights at the Diamond Park Inn at Chiang Rai for Nov 11-14. We will be flying into CR from Bangkok and then take a bus to Chiang Mail

We will be 3 adults with large luggage. So should we take a taxi or Tuk Tuk from airport to the Diamond Park Inn? Are the taxis metered or set price? About what should we expect to pay?

Same question to the bus station or are we close enough to walk?

Upon arriving at Chiang Rai airport at 1 pm, we plan to visit the White Temple ourselves that afternoon. Will we have enough time to do this after hotel checkin, etc? What time does the temple close?

My research of this forum discloses a tuk tuk to temple should costs about 150 to 200 THB roundtrip with wait time of 1 hr at the temple - is this estimate correct? Is 1 hour long enough to see the temple? Is there anything else along the way that we may want to see if we have time?

Can we have the hotel call a tuk tuk or where should we go to get one by the Diamond Park Inn? If the hotel calls, can or should we still negotiate a price ?

Thanks for your help.

Joyce

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,330 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costs of Taxis and Tuk Tuk in Chiang Rai

Hi Joyce:

A tuk tuk from the airport to Diamond Park should be about 100 to 125 baht. I think a taxi would be about 200 baht. I haven't done this exact route but am basing in on the price of a tuk tuk from Le Meridien to the night market and Baan Nattawadee to the night market, which are both about the same distance as the airport to Diamond Park Inn.

The bus station that is located downtown will be within walking distance of Diamond Park Inn, so long as you can roll your luggage a couple of blocks.

You will have enough time to visit the White Temple on the afternoon of your arrival. I can't recall the closing time, but with your schedule you should be able to be to the temple by 3 p.m. and I know we have been to the White Temple in the late afternoon before. An hour is sufficient time to see the White Temple, but do try to take the time to go watch the artists working and to look at the master artist's art gallery that is across the street. The gallery is free and it is stunning. The gallery is different than the gift shop, which also contains a few pieces of art. There isn't much else to see along the way to the White Temple, so I would just head over there once you check into your hotel. Two hundred baht should be a fair price for a tuk tuk to take you to the White Temple and back.

If you catch a tuk tuk from the airport to Diamond Park, just ask them to wait for you while you unpack. They will probably be delighted to have an additional fare and will wait. If not, you can walk down to the clock tower area or across the street from the night market entrance (in front of the money exchange) and you will find plenty of tuk tuks. You can also ask the hotel to call a tuk tuk, but be sure to negotiate the price before you get in the tuk tuk so you can verify there is not a mark up for the hotel staff that called the tuk tuk.

Safe Travels,

Broder

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
796 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costs of Taxis and Tuk Tuk in Chiang Rai

Once again, Broder, thank you for your help.

Is a tuk tuk large enough for 3 adults and our large bags from the airport to hotel?

So will we have to negotiate a price of either a tuk tuk or taxi from the airport (?? no meters) to the hotel? I am a bit nervous about negotiating as I have read that you don't want to insult the Thais during such a process.

So do I just insist on my price of 100 to 125 BHT from the airport to the hotel and just move to the next tuk tuk until I get my price? Do the drivers all speak English fairly well, so language is not an issue?

Sorry to ask so many stupid questions - just don't know what to expect.

Joyce

somerset
Level Contributor
472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costs of Taxis and Tuk Tuk in Chiang Rai

I know a tuk-tuk would not be able to carry 3 adults and cases anywhere. Also most taxi,s only have limited room, just enough for 2 people and luggage so i suggest you get a minivan at airport and its only 15 minutes to the Diamond Park hotel and will cost 300 baht. I have asked tuk- tuks before about travel to White temple but they said it was too far from town so next day i hired a car as it was only 1000 baht for day, but remember you have to have a IDP and insurance for car hire. So check your insurance small print as many dont allow vehicle hire in a normal policy. Hope this helps,

Andy

Cornwall
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Costs of Taxis and Tuk Tuk in Chiang Rai

Metered taxis the same as Chiangmai Mai and Bangkok have arrived this month in numbers in Chiangmai Rai. The tuk tuk drivers are not happy, but I am sure the bicycle tuk tuks were not happy when the blue petrol vans arrived. It's progreess I suppose, and better for us Farrangs to gets a nice roomy air con taxi to and from the airport and around town.

Prices same as Bangkok. Minimum fare 35 baht.

Golden Baht buses have arrived also providing free transport to and from the town to the new Central Plazza shopping Mall just out of town.

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,330 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costs of Taxis and Tuk Tuk in Chiang Rai

Joyce:

You cannot fit 3 adults and bags in a tuk tuk. You can fit 3 adults in a tuk tuk, but not with bags.

The drive is about 2.5 km, so it isn't a long drive. Probably not more than 10 minutes.

I wasn't aware of the metered taxis having arrive this month in large numbers in Chiang Rai (I last left in early July) but that might make the issue of negotiating a little easier for you. However, even if you use two tuk tuks and negotiate, I don't think you will find the locals offended by the negotiations. It is a little slower pace than in Chiang Mai and Bangkok. And no, most of the tuk tuk or taxi drivers do not speak English. It is wise to have a card with you that identifies the address and name of your hotel (preferably in Thai). A lot of hotels have these on their website so you can print it out before you arrive. After you arrive, just grab a card from the front desk each time you head out and think you will need a taxi or tuk tuk to return you.

Safe Travels,

Broder

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
796 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Costs of Taxis and Tuk Tuk in Chiang Rai

Broder and all:

Thank you for the information about the new metered cabs from the airport and the tuk tuks. It is disappointing, Andy, that you were not able to get a tuk tuk to take you to the White Temple - many folks have mentioned using this method. I don't think that renting a car is an option as driving sounds a bit crazy and I know for sure that our US car insurance will not provide coverage for foreign car rentals.

Joyce

somerset
Level Contributor
472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Costs of Taxis and Tuk Tuk in Chiang Rai

Hi Joyce, as i was staying there for 2 weeks with my g/f i had planned on hiring a car anyway so it made it easier for taking her family who live near the town to various places around town and seeing the sights. I had not heard of taxis arriving in numbers although i know there are many that meet the landing aircraft. My uk insurance covers me for car hire but not m/cycle hire above 110cc engine size. I will be there from the 8th November for about 2.5 weeks to see Loy Katong again so if you want to meet for a meal or drink it would be nice to meet some fellow T/Aers and have a chat about the area. Have great time,

Andy

Ps. I stay at the Diamond Park hotel as opposed to the Diamond Park Inn by the night market.

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,330 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Costs of Taxis and Tuk Tuk in Chiang Rai

Andy:

I think this will be the third trip where you and I will come close, but not quite cross paths. I go in December next. Hope you and Joyce manage a TA meet up.

Maybe next time?

Broder

somerset
Level Contributor
472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Costs of Taxis and Tuk Tuk in Chiang Rai

Hi Broder, i hope one day we will meet for a good old chat, as you have so much knowledge about the area but i am slowly getting to see a lot of it wih my g/f guide. I have already been to some remote places to see members of her family and have got the car stuck on mountain hills twice but a great adventure all the same. Have a great time,

Andy

10. Re: Costs of Taxis and Tuk Tuk in Chiang Rai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 08:18