We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport between Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai

Which Chiang Rai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Transport between Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai

Hi,

Am thinking about putting a trip together again. We have been to Phuket and Bangkok and was thinking about the north. If we fly into Chiang Rai and stay there a few days and travel to Chiang Mai and stay there a few days and then go either to Bangkok or Phulet and fly home.

Is there a bus between Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai?

Thanks,

Buzz

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport between Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai

Hello Buzz, you say

"We have been to Phuket and Bangkok"

The North of Thailand is....... the same same but completely different........ you'll love it.

The idea of landing in Chiang Rai, spending a couple of days and then traveling down hill by bus from there, is in my opinion the best way to see this part of the country.

I'll give you this site to have a look at,

http://wikitravel.org/en/Chiang_Rai

"Is there a bus between Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai?"

This question is answered in the site above, along with many more you haven't even thought of yet.

If you have any more questions don't be afraid to ask, our DE Broder is always happy to pass on her knowledge.

Have fun

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,346 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport between Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai

Hi Buzz,

There are frequent buses between Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai. Green bus co run VIP, 1st and 2nd class buses frequently throughout the day. Journey times are around 3 hours for the VIP to 4 hours for the 1st & 2nd class as these make a stop half way.

The north is a wonderful part of Thailand and well worth spending some time there.

Cheers

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport between Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai

Yes, come visit the north. You will love it!

Broder

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport between Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai

Yes,There is.

Stay in Chiang Mai for 4-5 days ,there are many beautiful places to visit like Phra Sing temple,Chedi Chet Yot temple,Phan Tao temple, Chedi Luang temple, The zoo & night safari, Doi Suthep, etc. and food tasty good! :P

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport between Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai

We hired a car and it was an easy drive up to Chiang Rai and meant we could stop off along the way when we felt like it and it wasn't very expensive.

Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport between Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai

Thanks everyone, I will start putting it together. I think it will be next March.

Now it seems that it will be a good trip.

Buzz

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
340 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport between Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai

Just took the trip from CM did the VIP bus with bathroom, book early simple, but the bus station in CM is on the outskirts of town.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport between Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai

How much is the VIP bus? How reguarly does it leave? and do you require booking?

houston
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport between Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai

Can we buy tickets from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai at the Bangkok bus station? My problem is that I will arrive in Chiang Rai one afternoon and need to leave for CM the next day and everyone keeps saying that you need to purchase your tickets in advance. So can I buy my tickets at the Bangkok bus station with Green Bus?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
340 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport between Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai

To respond to your question, YES bus service between CR and CM, very easy to buy a ticket, about 3hrs, good with the VIP with A/C and bathroom cheap.

Make sure you go a day early to get your ticket as many times are sold out.