We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget Family Accomodation with Pool

Level Contributor
69 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Budget Family Accomodation with Pool

Hi,

I seem to be going in circles and finding it hard to find accomodation for families.

We are 2 families travelling with young kids- one family of 4 people, other of 5 people.

Pool essential with the littlies

Budget not exceeding $100 pn.

We are not fussed on all the added extras of a big hotel actually prefer smaller guest house type places, just a clean room and pool

We thought June / July was low season but finding it difficult to find family rooms (either all in one room or interconnecting) as well as availability.

Also is 5 or 6 nights too long in CR ? Should we headed further afield?

Mindful of not wanting to move kids around too much so have planned 6night Chiang Mai and 6 in Chiang Rai

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Thanks

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget Family Accomodation with Pool

Check out the Empress chiang Mai this is a big hotel but does have a nice pool and will be well within your budget if you don't find a smaller guest house. I don't think 6 nights is too long in Chiang Mai and as you say you don't want to be moving around too much with kids.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,379 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget Family Accomodation with Pool

Suznkids:

I don't think 6 nights is two long in Chiang Rai, as long as you are planning day trips outside the city. Six nights would likely be too long if you are just remaining in Chiang Rai the entire time. Although I realize you don't want to move the kids around too much, you may want to consider spending a night or two in Mae Salong or in Sob Ruak (Golden Triangle area) to avoid spending too much time in the car. Both areas are about an hour and a half from Chiang Rai and you can see a lot more of the north from those points.

As for accommodations in Chiang Rai, at $100 per night you should have a lot of options. Le Meridien, the only 5 star in town, may even have rooms in June/July at that time. Although it is not a smaller guest house experience, it does have a great pool.

There is a place just outside of town that I believe is called the Chiang Rai Guest House (I don't have time right now to verify it, but I will look up the exact name). I think it might be a good fit for you. It has a total of 5 or 6 rooms and a couple are family rooms. They have a lovely pool and a nice little restaurant and bar area outside. I haven't stayed there but toured all of the rooms and at the time thought how perfect it would be if one were traveling with an extended family. The view was also beautiful and the owners pleasant.

If that doesn't work you might consider Baan Soontree or La Luna. Both are about 5 minutes by tuk tuk, have nice pools but I think you'd have to get a connecting room or an extra bed brought in for the 5th person in the room.

All of the above, except Le Meridien, are well below your price range.

Safe Travels,

Broder

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,379 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget Family Accomodation with Pool

I just remembered the name, it is the Chiang Rai Home Stay. Take a look at the reviews on TA and see what you think.

Broder

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget Family Accomodation with Pool

I just met some people in a restaurant today who are staying at Laluna which has one of the nicest pools in Chiang Rai. They are paying 1,400 baht a night currently ($45) which is a huge saving on their normal rate. Some guests have complained of lots of mosquitos here and I asked them about that and they said a few in the rooms only (which is fairly normal).

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,137 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget Family Accomodation with Pool

Baan Soontree is great. You need to look at their web page on agoda.com

We have also stayed at LaLuna but found it difficult with kids - you can only have two adults and one child in a room - so you need to split the kids from the adults. There are no adjoining rooms.

Baan Soontree is a small place and very very clean. Great breakfast, brand new gym and a little restaurant on site. They do have some rooms that are like free standing bungalows - however, they are very big and have an extra room off the bathroom where you can spread your stuff out. I don't think one would take five people, but I believe they have a family room.

You can book the basic rooms you want on agoda.com and then email or telephone the hotel and request extra beds for the room directly.

This is just a personal opinion, but I think 5 or 6 nights is a long time to spend in Chiang Rai unless you have day trips organised for the time you are there. No so much to see wandering around town.

Caroline.

Edited: 22 March 2013, 23:28
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget Family Accomodation with Pool

Baan Soontree is a good budget accomodation, but it's not in the same class as Laluna Resort. The former is a high density development of accomodation block with a pool crammed into the free space. Laluna is a spaciously layed out bungalow style development in a large, lush tropical garden with one of the best swimming pools of any hotel. BS is more like a 2* compared to Laluna more like a 4*. If the rates are similar I wouldn't even hesitate.

I wouldn't worry overly about 5 or 6 nights stay in Chiang Rai. As Broder said, if you are getting outside the city, you won't even scratch the surface of what there is to see in a week here. Chiang Rai is my main home and I am never ceased to be amazed and discovering new things all the time even after 6 years or the equivalent of 300 annual holidays here.

I noticed one of the reviews on Baan Soontree said she couldn't book 2 adults and 2 children in one room. As I recall from my own stay at Laluna, you probably can't do that there either. My own experience 6 years ago was of poor buffet style breakfasts but other than that I loved it, especially the swimming pool at Laluna. And of course detached bungalows, cannot have interconnecting doors but then they are also quieter than concrete apartment block style rooms.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
338 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget Family Accomodation with Pool

I happily stayed at Baan Soontree in a spacious detached bungalow about 5 weeks ago. You might have to book 2 (adjoining) per family, if they would not agree to 2 extra beds for children, but even then you would still be within budget. I will post a review shortly.

Level Contributor
69 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget Family Accomodation with Pool

Thank You everyone for your ideas and comments have started checking them all out .

Baan Soontree says at booking over 2years must have seperate bed, with 3 max room. seems odd normal 2 person rooms $39pn but family is $177 for 3 people!! can't find email to contact them to ask

Laluna - same deal as above so ahve emailed them directly.

Broder the homestay looks like a good option, what did you think about distance from town?

Guessing will mainly into town at night for dinner and markets.

Found a place in Chiang Saen - Viang Yonok Hotel that looks our style so think we might do 3 nights there to do activities further north then back to Chiang Rai for 3 nights so we can do night markets and saturday market.

Memories from 10+ years ago without kids was the square at night for dinner and wander was fabulous, the town came alive.

thanks again

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,379 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget Family Accomodation with Pool

Suznkids:

I think Viang Yonok is an excellent choice also. It will be closer to the Golden Triangle area than is Chiang Rai. Also, Chiang Saen itself has a lot to see. I have enjoyed riding bicycles around Chiang Saen and into the countryside and it has some nice little markets and temples too. Viang Yonok is on a lake and has a lot of activities the children would enjoy. It has separate bungalow type rooms and is family friendly. I think they even have kayaks or canoes for their guests to use as well as bicycles.

Combining that with a few days in Chiang Rai at the Chiang Rai Home Stay sounds like a perfect combination for a family with children. You can easily get a tuk tuk into town from Chiang Rai Home Stay. There are also little shops and restaurants close to the the Home Stay plus the restaurant at the Home Stay. I cannot recall the name of the owners, but when I stopped by, I recalled that they readily assisted their guests with transportation. In fact, the next day I was in Chiang Khong and ran into them there, as they had driven some guests to Chiang Khong.

I'd love to hear reviews on both of these places if you end up staying at either of them. We don't tend to see a lot of reviews on either of them on the forum, as the are not situated right in the heart of Chiang Rai.

Best of luck in your planning.

Broder

10. Re: Budget Family Accomodation with Pool

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 March 2013, 22:35