We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiang Rai Sole Mates - Walking Group

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Chiang Rai Sole Mates - Walking Group

Here’s your opportunity to try out something a little different for Chiang Rai in 2013.

It’s a walking group that’s just a walking group.

Whether you’re local, a transplant or a ‘just passing through on vacation’ , if you’re looking to get out away from the hustle of town, enjoy some of the sights and scenery of this area - and get a bit of exercise, then go along and try out this new venture. You can be assured of a friendly welcome.

When: On the fourth Saturday of each month.

Time: Usually in the morning, though starting times will vary according to season and the individual walk that is proposed for the month.

Length of walk: each will take about one and a half to two hours to complete at a nice comfortable pace with plenty of pauses to look at scenery and allow for conversation. Some may take longer –but that will be because there might be more to look at rather than more kilometers to cover.

Where will the walks be: They could be anywhere in Chiang Rai province, but the majority will probably be within 15-20 km of the centre of C.R. town. You’ll need a taxi or your own transport to get to the starting points, but for sure, you'll make friends and get a lift back to your hotel.

Aims of the walking group: To get out and about and visit both old favourites and new areas to walk in, suitable for all ages and abilities. There will be a trail to follow, but each walk will simply be led by the person who has found the trail for that month. It will not be marked beforehand with paper or the like.

To enjoy the countryside/urban-scapes of Chiang Rai province

To meet up with friends and to make new acquaintances.

What to bring and wear: water, sun hat, sun-cream, casual clothing - and most walks will be suitable for walking-type sandals or trainers (if it’s not, you will be informed before-hand).

Most walks will give you the opportunity to go on afterwards to a nearby café or eating place for the opportunity to continue conversations, have a snack and refresh yourselves, if you wish to do this.

For further details you can email: chiangraiwalkinggroup@hotmail.co.uk

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chiang Rai Sole Mates - Walking Group

What a wonderful idea! As well as keeping up your fitness whilst away (necessary due to eating all the great food on offer), it would be a nice social occasion as well.

Unfortunately I'll just miss it.

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chiang Rai Sole Mates - Walking Group

I love my walks, the ones on 4 wheels I mean ;-)

This is just one of the regular ex-pat activities on offer in Chiang Rai. It's a wonderful place to retire to.

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chiang Rai Sole Mates - Walking Group

I know some of you don't approve of holidaymakers mixing with ex-pats, and as the saying goes, if one man's meat is another man's poison, and we believe in censorship, we would all be vegetarian!

There is a genuine wish of the people living here (who are permanent tourists) to make your holidays that little bit extra special and make those long lasting friendships we all treasure. Perhaps you will go on to retire here and "pay it forward".

Instructions for walk on May 25th.

Start at 0830 back before it gets really hot. The walk is about 5km, along paths and roads, with one uphill stretch.

The start location is on the 1511, opposite water tower at the entrance to the Huai Luang reservoir, just before reaching the hot springs. There is a plot of levelled earth where you can park (providing they don’t build on it in the next 7 days).

Directions from Big C - count 25 mins (N.B. There are roadworks in Bandu so some delay possible)

a) Head north on the superhighway heading towards Mae Chan. Pass the Mengrai/Haayaek junction and cross the Mae Kok river bridge.

b) Continue past the airport junction on the superhighway and into Bandu

c) In Bandu, just after the market on the left, take the main left turning (the 1511) under the arch with signs to Bandu Municipality and Pong Phrabat Hot Spring. (On the opposite side of the carriageway there is a large Yamaha motorcycle hoarding).

d) after turning left continue on the 1511, past the Bandu Municipality offices, until reaching the water tower of the Huai Luang reservoir. There are parking spaces opposite the water tower. If you get to the hot springs car park you have gone too far.

There is a shop at the junction 50m before the water tower that sells cold drinks.

The grid reference for the start point is 20.003673N, 99.483341E

Germany
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chiang Rai Sole Mates - Walking Group

we are having a family reunion, there are 6 of us, my 2 brothers and I with our partners. we seem to have been flung to the four corners of the globe over the years. would it be ok do you think for all of us to come? I dont think any of us are planning on retiring in chiang rai.

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chiang Rai Sole Mates - Walking Group

Hi Alice

You will all be made very welcome. I am not going myself, but all the ex-pats here are incredibly friendly and will you make feel very welcome.

I probably will be at the Indian Curry and BBQ night on the same day with my daughter and her cousins, I'm just waiting back to hear back from them whether there is a discounted price for children, the Indian night is listed in the forum and it's not far from King Mengrai statue, which hotel are you staying in?

Kind regards

Bruce

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chiang Rai Sole Mates - Walking Group

PS

There is also a pot luck picnic the following day if you're interested?

PPS

There's also another post about bars to drink in and meet the same ex-pats on Friday night that are probably doing the Saturday walking group. I live too far out of town to go on a Friday but I'm usually in town Saturday afternoon at Central Shopping mall.

Germany
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Chiang Rai Sole Mates - Walking Group

thank you Bruce, but I think we'll just try the walking group and take it from there. we are staying at les meridien.

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chiang Rai Sole Mates - Walking Group

Le Meridien is a great hotel, you will love it. If you want any restaurant recommendations let me know.

The Indian BBQ thingy isn't too far away if you decide to pop along.

Bruce

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chiang Rai Sole Mates - Walking Group

SOLE MATES JUNE 22ND WALK

START TIME: 8:30 a.m.

LENGTH OF WALK: Six kilometers, mostly dirt path with much shade and a couple of possible muddy spots if there is much rain.

WHAT TO BRING AND WEAR: water, sun hat, sun-cream, shoes that can get muddy.

Directions to Don’s Café: Starting from the Shell garage at the top of the Old Chiang Mai Road (Highway numbered 1211) in Chiang Rai, proceed about 1.5 km south until you reach the second set of traffic lights in Den Haa (Moom Mai corner). Turn right here. (If you see the “Sixties Bar” you have just missed it.) Continue along this curving road until you reach Don’s Café on the left side of the road. It is about 8 km. The blue Doi In Cee Stupa signs will keep you going the right direction.

From Don’s Café to Parking and Starting Site: Take the Soi going left at Don’s ‘Y’ intersection. Then turn left at the ‘T’ intersection when you see the blue ‘Doi In Cee Stupa’ sign. (You will have just passed Soi 18. You will be behind a school with a smaller soi going straight.) The Starting Site is before Soi 1 in Doi Hang Nai across from the temple.

Parking and Start Site: You can park in the lot across from the temple, but please do not park on the cement, park on the dirt in the parking lot. If you get dropped off by taxi I am sure you will get a lift back to town

GPS: 19°55'4.60"N and 99°45'37.06"E (19.91804 and 99.76034 ) — to parking site and start of walk site.

Edited: 12 June 2013, 02:46
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chiang Rai Sole Mates - Walking Group

SOLE MATES’ WALK JULY 27TH

The 7 km walk will be on paved roads with some slight inclines. They will be walking the road that takes you to Huai Mae Sai (Zaiy) Waterfall through villages and rice fields although they will not go so far as the waterfall before turning back.

Start time is 9:00 am

Directions to the meeting place – temple. The coordinates for the temple are: 19o58’28.93”N 99o45’51.30”E .

From Town/Hwy 1:

From Hwy 1, turn west towards Mae Yao on road 1207 which is also Mae Kok road. You will pass through a traffic light with Ban Mai market on your left and St Mary's school on your right. Continue straight, passing a 4 way intersection and the big green boat, until you reach the 3 way intersection with Mae Fah Luang road, turn right. (It is 3.4 km from Hwy 1 to MFL Rd intersection) Travel past the turnoff to Huai Pla Kang temple. From the 3 way MFL rd intersection travel 4.5 km until you get to a T intersection with blue informational signs including the waterfall; turn right (the road ends so you can only go right or left). After turning right, follow the road; at 2 km is the Mae Yao police station on your right and an archway. After the archway, go 1 km and turn left at the 3 blue wooden signs all in Thai. There is a temple straight ahead at 100 yards, where there is parking. The coordinates for the temple are: 19o58’28.93”N 99o45’51.30”E. You have gone too far if you see a sign for Chiang Rai Hill resort (Ban Kiangdao) on your right. Way too far. Go back to “GO” and don’t collect 200 baht or just “U” turn and come back to the 1st paved road on you right and TURN RIGHT!

Coming from Doi Hang:

After crossing the CR prison bridge heading for Mae Yao just follow the road but do notturn left when you come to the intersection leading to Karen Elephant Camp (and Jen Lom Homestay & Bread shop). Go right and just follow the winding road for 4.2 km until you come to the first stop sign you’ll see. This happens to be the T intersection mentioned above. Hang a left. After turning left, follow the road; at 2 km is the Mae Yao police station on your right and an archway. After the archway, go 1 km and turn left at the 3 blue wooden signs all in Thai. There is a temple straight ahead at 100 yards, where we will park. The coordinates for the temple are: 19o58’28.93”N 99o45’51.30”E. You have gone too far if you see a sign for Chiang Rai Hill resort (Ban Kiangdao) on your right. Way too far. Go back to “GO” and don’t collect 200 baht or just “U” turn and come back to the 1st paved road on your right and TURN RIGHT!