We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warnings of Heavy Rain

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Warnings of Heavy Rain

The Department of Disaster Prevention & Mitigation has today (Thursday 25/7) issued a severe rain warning for 13 states in the North of Thailand, including Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai.

They are warning of flash floods and hillsides collapsing, forest run-off etc.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
247 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warnings of Heavy Rain

When Bruce ? We arrive on Saturday husband and daughter have all of Sunday booked with you guys will this have any effect on their planed fun ta............mandy

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warnings of Heavy Rain

Hi Mandy,

I don't know, that was practically the entire government release. The weather forecast on the Thai Meteorlogical website says 60% precipitation coverage, and thunder storms, it's said this every day for 3 weeks. I think it's 50/50 but we will get in touch with you 7am Sunday morning by email/phone to your hotel if it's a problem. Fingers crossed.

Bruce

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
247 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warnings of Heavy Rain

Thanks Bruce , they are so looking forward to their day I don't know what your weather is like but where we are down near ban phe (Rayong) everyday they say rain or thunderstorms but rarely eventuates so as you say fingers crossed....... Mandy

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warnings of Heavy Rain

Hi Mandy,

It's kind of 50/50 this time of year, it generally rains some time each day, what we don't like are the all night long showers.

I can't even get to our home in my 4x4 if it rains all night, and it's an 800m hike up a mountain. Good for the cardio though!

Bring a change of clothing for Sunday because you will probably get dirty, and swimwear too.

Bruce

Singapore
Level Contributor
328 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warnings of Heavy Rain

Oh no.... I'll be there in 2 weeks time... Will it affect my rafting tour?...

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warnings of Heavy Rain

No problem swimming, sorry did you say swimming or rafting? Seriously though, the river is currently very swollen but the people running the rafts are highly trustworthy, if they say it's ok, I'm sure it will be. At least if you fall in, it will keep you cool at Bamboo Nest ;-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Warnings of Heavy Rain

Warning was there a week ago. Some rain. Some mountain tracks very muddy and slippery. But most importantly YES be cautious on rafting. Insist on a life jacket. I speak from experience without going into detail. Not all raft steerers are able to cope with the strong currents when waters are high.

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Warnings of Heavy Rain

Warning was there a week ago. Some rain. Some mountain tracks very muddy and slippery. But most importantly YES be cautious on rafting. Insist on a life jacket. I speak from experience without going into detail. Not all raft steerers are able to cope with the strong currents when waters are high.

Edited: 25 July 2013, 16:12
Montrose, PA
Level Contributor
278 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Warnings of Heavy Rain

My daughter and a friend just landed in Bangkok from US today and are headed to Chiang Rai tomorrow to work at an orphanage for 4 days. Then on to Chiang Mai for 4 days. I don't like the sound of the weather forecast. Any one know of an orphanage in Chiang Rai and if it is in a safe area if they do get the heavy rains??

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Warnings of Heavy Rain

7am this morning and the sun is shining!