We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay?

Cabarita Beach...
Level Contributor
53 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Where to Stay?

Hello I am coming to Chiang Rai late october and need some advice on where to stay for around $50 aud / night , I am travelling alone and I am late 40's ( I am spending a month in India with a girlfriend then we she goes home I would like to continue to travel ), I would like to be close to restaurants, be able to organise tours once I arrive and just want to feel safe. Thanks for reading and appreciate any help you can give.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,379 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Stay?

There are a lot of options in your price range. There are a few decent guesthouses in town but most of the hotels that get better reviews on TA are a 5 to 7 minute tuk tuk ride. The Wiang Inn is right in town near the night market. It is pretty old but they are doing some renovations.

Here are some others to take a look at in the hotel review section of Trip Advisors. All of these are in your price range and all generally have good reviews. After you look at those, let us now if you have further questions or if we can help you narrow your search or if these don't suit you, we can help broaden your search.

Baan Soontree

Baan Nattawadee

LaLuna

The Palm Garden

Mantrini

My Dream Guesthouse (this is near Raummit so wouldn't be close to town, probably a 25 minute drive) but a different style of hotel than the others.

Safe Travels,

Broder

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Stay?

I would concur with Broder, though there is one I might knock off that list as I have recent feedback. The Palm Garden. I looked at it in May and was disappointed. Earlier this year they changed their marketing strategy and started marketing it as a long-term residence for ex-pats at about 2,500-3,000 baht/month and it shows.

Two more I would recommend are Baan Rub Aroon and Baan Norn Plearn, though you will need to book the latter through Agoda as they don't ever appear to answer emails.

Cabarita Beach...
Level Contributor
53 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Stay?

thank you both, i have had a look at these and there are a few that i like. So grateful for your help.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Stay?

I stayed at La Luna in February - beautiful gardens and pool, little bungalows, reasonable rates. I found my room to be a bit run down and unstocked fridge, pretty basic bathroom, but very nice reception and lounge area. There is a restaurant on site that I had breakfast at and hotel staff can call a taxi or tuktuk for you to get into town in about 5 minutes or to the White Temple or other places. There are a couple of good restaurants on the street near the hotel, but more selection on the main street in town. If you are there on a Saturday, don't miss the Saturday Night Market.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
20 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Stay?

Looking to visit for a couple of days in mid-October, alone, in my 60s, bad hip means walks are punctuated by frequent stops. Looks like Wiang Inn for me (where I stayed in 1982) for night market. Don't see any other close choices for hotels of decent standard. Comments? Options?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
20 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Stay?

Oops Wiang Inn is full. Diamond Park Inn?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,379 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to Stay?

Diamond Park Inn is about a 3 minute walk to the night market so it would meet your mobility needs. It is one of those hotels that often has large tour buses with people who stay for a night or two. I haven't stayed there but have toured it and spoke with the staff. The rooms were clean and good sized. Beds seemed kind of hard but that is typical in Thailand. It does not have a "Thai" ambiance, but it will probably meet your needs. It doesn't always get great reviews on service.

Would love to hear your view on how Chiang Rai has changed since you were there in 1982.

Have a great trip.

Broder

8. Re: Where to Stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2014, 06:19