We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private transfer from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
611 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Private transfer from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

Can anyone please recommend a tour company or driver that could take us from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai please ?

Also, how much do you think this would cost please ?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,303 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private transfer from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

Hi,

This is one option, price mentioned on link below:

orientalescape.com/thailand/…chiangmai.html

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private transfer from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

Top right on this page is FAQ - Finding a Tour Guide, a lot of them will provide you with a ride to CM, cost is likely to be somewhere between 2,500 and 3,500 baht.

I would recommend you take the VIP / Green Bus at under 300 baht per person, it's extremely comfortable.

Bruce

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,374 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private transfer from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

Any of the guides listed in the FAQ "Finding a Tour Guide" in the upper right hand corner can transport you from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai or arrange a driver. The price is 2500 to 3000. Usually the lower price (2500) is for a driver and the 3,000 is if the guide is driving you. The drivers do not always speak great English, as opposed to the guides who speak English. However, you don't need someone who speaks English well if you only want transport from one city to the next.

The VIP bus is a more cost effective option if you are only two or three people traveling. If you are a larger group a van/driver at the above rates may be a better option and you can arrange your own transport times.

Safe Travels,

Broder

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,706 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private transfer from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

If you're not planning to stop anywhere on the way to see sights then I concur that the Green Bus would be the way to go.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
611 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private transfer from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

Thanks for all the advice

Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private transfer from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

Hi Cassnu

Are there any particularly worthy sites to stop for an hour is so between C.M. and C.R in your view?

Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private transfer from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

Hi Cassnu

Are there any particularly worthy sites to stop for an hour is so between C.M. and C.R in your view?

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,706 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private transfer from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

There were some hotsprings on the way, but it was very commercial and not worth it, I think there is another better hot spring which is the one I'd hoped we'd be taken to and we also stopped at the White Temple which is stunning and worthy of a stop and has some good little eateries and coffee shops.

I think there might be a couple of other places but we just wanted to get to CR this particular day. Sure some of the DE's for that area like Caroline and Broder can help further:

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private transfer from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

The White Temple is only about 10km outside town, so if you're wanting to stretch your legs and break up the journey, there are 2 places I would recommend.

The first is about 1/3rd of the way. On the RHS you will see what looks like a replica of Ang Kor Wat (though it's concrete) and next to it is a selection of little shops. There is also a hot spring/geyser there and the hot water is channeled underground into a coffee shop at the front where you can have a coffee and cake and dangle your feet in the hot spring water.

The second place is a straight forward PTT Petrol Station in Maekachan on the LHS with half a dozen large eateries behind it, this is where the mini-buses and some coaches stop.

Unless you are really wanting to stop, none of them are particularly memorable.

Bruce

Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Private transfer from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

Thanks Bruce and Cassnu,

I think I will change plans - take the green VIP bus stright to Chiang Rai, then use a guide/drive from there, rather than have them drive down to CM to collect us.

Much appreciated!