We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saturday Night Market

Which Chiang Rai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
213 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Saturday Night Market

Hi everyone, could you please advise me how the Saturday Night Market compares to the Chiang Mai Sunday Market? We are going to be in both towns before we take the boat to Luang Prabang but because of the timing can only do one of the markets. Which one do you recommend?

Thanking you Jan

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
875 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saturday Night Market

I've not been to the Chiang Rai night market but the one in Chiang Mai is excellent! Not to be missed. I was under the impression CR's market was a smaller version.

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saturday Night Market

I have been to both markets, the difference predominantly with the Chiang Rai Saturday night market is that most of the shoppers are Thai's, whereas in CM it's mostly tourists. The CM market is a little more commercial and perhaps less locally made items. Both of them are fairly large, the CR market is about 1.5km (1 mile) x2 because there are 4 rows of stalls, so there is a lot of walking and a lot to see.

Of the two, I personally favour CR but this is probably a subjective & personal view.

Bruce

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,352 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saturday Night Market

I have been to both the Chiang Mai Sunday Market and the Chiang Rai Saturday Night Walking Market. The Chiang Rai night market is much smaller than the Chiang Mai night market but the Chiang Mai Sunday Market is only slightly larger than the Chiang Rai Saturday Walking Market.

As Bruce has already said, the CR Walking Market has a lot of locally made items (along with some made in China) and is predominately a local event where as the Chang Mai Sunday Market is primarily a tourist event. However, I love them both.

I have also found the CR Walking Market had more local dancers, singers, and performers than the CM Sunday Market.

I think you would enjoy either one.

Safe Travels,

Broder

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
213 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saturday Night Market

Thank you everyone for your input. I think I will plan to attend the Cr Saturday Night Walking Market.

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saturday Night Market

Hi - we will be in Chiang Rai for the first time in February and I see from this thread that there is a Saturday Night Walking Market in CR. I'd be grateful if anyone can tell me what the opening hours are and also how far it is from Le Meridien Resort where we will be staying. Thanks

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,352 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saturday Night Market

It is a 7 to 10 minute ride by tuk tuk to the walking market from Le Meridien.

The Walking Market starts about 5 p.m.

It is a lovely market. Hope you enjoy your time there.

Broder

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Saturday Night Market

Thanks, Broder; appreciate your advice. Our flight from BKK arrives at 1640 on a Saturday so I think that's our first evening sorted. Sorry to appear lazy but would you recommend any local restaurants in the market area or should we just graze with the street vendors? Thank you again, D

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,352 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Saturday Night Market

I don't really have a favorite restaurant in the Night Market area. There are a couple I avoid, which are pretty touristy and don't have great food. I enjoy the food stalls. I also will sometimes go to the Cat Bar and order dinner there, which is served by one of the restaurants down the street. I've always had good meals there.

My two favorite restaurants are Aekocha and Salugkham. They are about a 5 minute drive from the night market.

Safe Travels,

Broder

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Saturday Night Market

Thank you; I'll do a bit of research now. D

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Saturday Night Market

Hi again Broder - I've now read your (and other) reviews and must say that both Aekocha and the Cat Bar look very tempting. Maybe we'll eat in the first and go for a nightcap or two in the second. Thanks for your help. D

Edited: 30 September 2013, 13:30