We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please

Which Chiang Rai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Port Augusta...
Level Contributor
109 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Advice please

Hi. We are travelling to Thailand for 3 weeks and are starting our trip off in Phuket which is where we are flying into. We will then go to Chiang mai and are now thinking of adding 4 nights in Chiang Rai. Now for the questions, Would we be sensible to stay 2 nights in Chiang Rai and then maybe 2 nights out looking at Laos or somewhere on the river? Do we need to be in the centre of town or would being out of town be a problem food wise? We are 2 adults, well 3 with our 18 year old. We need 2 rooms and love the thought of all the tours etc. We are looking at being in Chiang Rai on the 24th of December. Thanks everyone. Christine

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,352 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please

If you are planning on being in Chiang Rai on the 24th of December I would book rooms soon, as that is the height of the high season for tourism. Baan Nattawadee is a great place to stay for a moderately priced small hotel operated by a local family. It is about 7 to 8 minutes by tuk tuk, outside of town. If you want to spend a little more and stay in town there is a brand new hotel called Le Patta that is quite lovely. Staying outside of town is not usually a problem food wise, as most hotels include breakfast and there are always small restaurants nearby. Baan Nattawadee is located near the Chiang Rai beach, which is a great place to go for a lunch on the river with a lot of locals. Other hotels you might want to look at are Baan Soon Tree, which is also about 7 to 8 minutes outside of town (opposite direction of Baan Nattawadee).

I think you would enjoy spending two nights in town and two nights either up near the Golden Triangle or perhaps in Mae Salong or outside of town along the river.

Let us know if you have more specific questions.

Safe Travels,

Broder

Port Augusta...
Level Contributor
109 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please

Thanks Border

Baan Nattawadee, is sold out. Looked lovely. I thought maybe the Siam Triangle hotel. It looks nice.

I will check out the other places you suggested. Thanks again.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice please

Hi,

We are staying at Le Patta right now and it is a lovely hotel. Brand new, with staff that can not do enough for you. The breakfast is fine and the restaurant is also open for lunch and dinner. (We will go for dinner very shortly, because we had a long, but absolutely fantastic day with Jermsak.) It is very centrally located, very close to the bus station (we could have walked, but they will pick you up). It is on the street with the clock tower and close to the night market as well. Bonus for me is the elevator (bad knees). Very comfortable beds, wonderful shower, free snacks and cold drinks in mini fridge. Highly recommend!

Port Augusta...
Level Contributor
109 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice please

Sounds fantastic! Can't wait to get there. What's the weather like? Enjoy.

Christine

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice please

We at Chiang Rai ATV had guests today from Le Patta (we've also got guests from there tomorrow) who raved about it. I think the prices will go up substantially as it gets busier, it's a bargain now.

Bruce

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice please

After my earlier post about Le Patta, we went down for dinner. The restaurant has only been open for a short time and although it was very busy at breakfast, we (the four of us) were the only ones for dinner. Getting our orders across was not easy with the very shy, but lovely young waitress, mainly because of the language barrier. However, she went for help and the general manager, who speaks excellent English, helped translate. Three of us had stir fry chicken with cashew nuts an steamed rice, and my husband had tandoori chicken. All four were excellent meals. In our chat with the general manager, a very charming and helpful young man, we found out that we were just minutes away from the Saturday night walking street market. Off we went and there was so much delicious looking food there, we were almost sorry we already had dinner. My friend snd I ended up trying a deep fried cricket... Crunchy, salty and quite tasty!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,352 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice please

Oh yes, when one has a Saturday night in Chiang Rai you must visit the Walking Market. It is a fabulous experience and has so much local entertainment and food.

So glad to hear about your experience at Le Patta and that you had a great day with Jermsak. Hope you have time to write a trip report when you return.

GregP: I just sent you a very long PM with some ideas for an itinerary for your trip. I hope it will help.

Safe Travels,

Broder

Port Augusta...
Level Contributor
109 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice please

You guys are all fantastic, thanks. I have read it Border. Replied to you.

Le Pattya sounds lovely but more than we wanted to pay as we need two rooms. Will have another look.

Bruce I have been looking at your site, interesting.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice please

Greg, broder mentioned the town of Mae Salong. It's a little dot on the map, at first it seems like there's nothing much there except a local market, lots of tea plantations, a petrol station, with some restaurants and accommodation.... But the views and serenity are what you'd go for! Really a hidden "off the beaten track" gem if you just want to relax in the mountains & do a bit of exploring. It's a bit hard to get to unless you're driving yourself but take a look around on google street view at the intersection of Highway 1234 & 1089. Wat Santikhiri has some nice views, and a hill leading away from it that needed a run-up if my car was to get up it! If you don't have to compromise on your time in Chiang Mai, then cetainly have 2 nights in the Chiang Rai area as well. Enjoy!

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice please

Hi Christine,

We are picking up guests twice daily in town and get üp to the minute"feedback on all the hotels. Handy for the Saturday Night Walking Street and central location is Baan Norn Plearn and Baan Rub Aroon, both are pretty good and circa 900 baht/room, even cheaper is Baan Bua (just down from the Clock Tower on Jet Yod Road) at about half that and also well regarded.

If you have any questions about what we do, just PM me or drop me an email.

Bruce