We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long should I stay

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
210 posts
Save Topic
How long should I stay

Hi all, the more I read the longer I want to stay. We are heading to Thailand on July 5 and our first stop is Chiangmai Rai roughly how many days would I need to see most of the sights? I only have 2weeks all up and need to divide it between Chiang Rai - Chiang Mai (3nights) Hua Hin and Bangkok (2nights) any help would be appreciated...

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,883 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long should I stay

It depends how much you want to see and do in the area. I found a couple of nights plenty of time to see the town but didn't do any tours or hikes.

Personally, with only 2 weeks I would pass on C.R. and split my time between C.M., H.H. and Bangkok.

Trisha

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,078 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long should I stay

We had 2 nights 2 years ago, I would have preferred 3 to 4.

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long should I stay

I came for 2 nights 7 years ago, now I live here

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,078 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long should I stay

I could live with that too Bruce J!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,379 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long should I stay

I usually spend 7 to 9 nights in Chiang Rai but that includes going up to Mae Salong for an overnight or two and going out on tours to areas outside of Chiang Rai. But, I am someone who loves the area and could easily stay much longer.

I generally only spend two nights in Bangkok and that is enough for me.

I think that 3 to 4 days is a good amount of time to see Chiang Rai and the surrounding areas. A visit to Chiang Rai usually includes trips to Mae Salong, the Golden Triangle, Mae Sai, Doi Tung etc., and all are about an hour to an hour and a half from Chiang Rai.

Hua Hin is definitely worth three nights or more too. It is usually the final stop on my trips to Thailand.

Safe Travels,

Broder

Italy
Level Contributor
39,497 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long should I stay

The limit would be 3 nights, any less and it wouldn't be worth it.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
206 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long should I stay

Many of the best sites in Chiang Rai Province are outside the city of Chiang Rai and take a significant amount of time to drive to them. As many have already said, the number of nights you wish to stay is dependent on what you want to see. Going to the mountains, Mae Salong, Doi Tung, the Burma Border road, Golden Triangle , etc. will take time. I agree with Broder that an overnight in Mae Salong is worth the trip. Absolutely stunning scenery and mountains. The King Mother's Shrine is there as well and the walk up the steps to it is a fun way to spend the morning and besides, it is great exercise and the view……

Have fun,

Hamzy

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long should I stay

Is that an offer Cassnu? I am a single guy ;-)

Further to Hamzy's post, for those of us that are couch potatoes (i.e. me), or overweight (er, i.e. me again!), a drive up to the King Mother's Shrine and a walk down is easey peasey.

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
210 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How long should I stay

Thank you everyone, we arrive sat night at 8pm July 5 is this to late for the night market? Going to stay till Thursday morning and get the bus to Chiang Mai for cooking class with Youie on Friday and then Hua Hin sat. We were in Chiang Mai last Aug so have seen a lot there. Is it easy to get the bus from Chiang Rai and do you need to book in advance. Looking at staying at Le Patta, is this a good choice for central location. Thanks...

newcastle
Level Contributor
113 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How long should I stay

we have just done 4 nights there and was enough it is such a lovely place so chilled and relaxed and still feels un touched by tourism people so nice with a good big market and so very cheap compared to rest of thialand . We done the golden triangle with a hour long ride on the elephants which coist me and my partner 700 batt for us both. Do not miss this place out was our first time and will not be the last.