We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather (January)

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Weather (January)

First, what a usual January is like....

Cloudless blue skies with lovely sunshine. Daytime temperatures peaking between 30-32 degrees, 20-21 degrees by 10am and 9pm and lows overnight of 13-17 degrees, 65% humidity. In other words - heaven on earth.

Actually that is what I wrote for the normal weather in December too. This January has been very dry and the last week has been exactly like that. Up until the final week, we have had a cooler January, the lows have only been a couple of degrees colder (nothing like the last fortnight in December), but the day times have been peaking at 26-28 degrees Celsius which is about 4 degrees cooler than usual, although still very pleasant.

Most of the hotels here have been suffering with lower occupancy levels, I think that is mostly down to the demonstrators in Bangkok (who want an end to democracy and a return to plutocracy), and I think the reports of cool weather encouraged a few tourists to stay at Southern resorts. A couple of nights I ate in the night bazaar with my girls and it was very unusual to see half the tables empty.

Today is glorious, it's Chinese New Year holiday and my house and (cold) swimming pool is overrun with kids. We have very hot weather forecast for the next week (34C), if all of Thailand is going to have a heat wave then Chiang Rai may prove to be a sanctuary from the heat.

Bruce

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather (January)

Weather sounds great, Bruce; sorry to hear of the reduction in the number of tourists. We'll be there from 8-10 February... can't wait.

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather (January)

Sounds good to me, will be there 2 weeks tomorrow and can't wait

3. Re: Weather (January)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2015, 05:19