We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Songkran and the 7 dangerous days

Which Chiang Rai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Songkran and the 7 dangerous days

Every year there are in excess of 300 deaths and hundreds of injuries over the Songkran holiday period.

Last year and the year before, the worst province was Chiang Rai. This year, surprisingly, it wasn't. I only have statistics for the worst 2 provinces, but Chiang Rai wasn't one of them. It makes a nice change.

Most accidents occur between 4pm and 8pm, around 90% involve alcohol and about 80% involve motorcycles.

It pays to always expect the worst on the roads in Thailand but especially on any public holiday after lunchtime when there is a significant chance of inebriated drivers.

I also read somewhere this week, that Thailand ranks as the fourth largest consumer of alcohol per head in Asia.

It's been a fairly crazy week this week, we're seeing tourism up significantly compared with January over this holiday period.

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Songkran and the 7 dangerous days

Yes Bruce, a sad time for lots of survivors I would imagine.

bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/405486/songkran…

London, United...
Level Contributor
533 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Songkran and the 7 dangerous days

Every year we've celebrated songkran with our Thai friends, without fail someone clatters to the floor on a scooter outside the house , it's always a heart stopping moment hearing the crunch and scrape of plastic , thankfully no one ever hurt badly.

This year at our hotel , I saw a tourist teaching his girlfriend to ride a scooter round the car park , she was totally unsteady and wobbling everywhere , this was on the main day of songkran. I was thinking of saying something , but thought my comments or advice would be un-welcome ... Totally stupid , obviously doesn't care much for his girlfriend.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,007 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Songkran and the 7 dangerous days

LondonDesmond I guess we should be thankfull he was teaching her in the hotel car park and not along the Sukhumvit road! Assuming she was not a Thai girlfriend I wonder if they even though of the consequences of not having a licence and therefore no insurance and of course her travel insurance would almost certainly be invalidated too if sh should get her self seriously injured it could cost them plenty!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Songkran and the 7 dangerous days

Wow... it's hard to just get my mind around how many deaths and injuries there were in just one week! Unbelievable...

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,352 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Songkran and the 7 dangerous days

Glad I am arriving the week after Songkran!

Broder

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Songkran and the 7 dangerous days

I never thought of Songkran as being so dangerous and I'm shocked at so many deaths during this time.

7. Re: Songkran and the 7 dangerous days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2015, 06:15