We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quickest way from CM to BK

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Quickest way from CM to BK

Hi guys!

After reading many forums there seems to be some confusion about getting to BKK from CR. And it doesn't help that the posts that I did find are outdated. So I am attempting to reach out to the experts here on TA !

I will be in CM for a few days and then taking a bus up to CR. I then need to get to BKK from CR to catch the 6AM bus that goes to Koh Tao.

Can you please advise the best transportation route to get to BKK? Whether it be from CM or CR? Plane tickets seem to be quite expensive so I don't think it will fit my budget but maybe they are cheaper last minute deals when you go into the airport (kind of like last minute sales for fill up the plane?).

Another option I found is take a bus back to CM from CR and grab the night train that goes to BKK. I end up spending a day in BKK because the train arrives at around the time the boat would leave.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,749 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quickest way from CM to BK

Hi,

I think whichever way you do it you will need to be in Bangkok the day before.

Cheapest would be overnight bus but arrival times can't be guaranteed. Same with the train, arrivals are often 2 or more hours late.

Flights are cheapish and quick if you use low cost carriers and book early. Air Asia fly from both CR and CM, Nok fly from CM.

Cheers

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quickest way from CM to BK

Paulosussex,

Darn! I thought the train would be the one thats running on time and the buses would be late! Thats the cause here in Calgary, buses are never reliable!

So the trick with low cost carriers is to book early? Hmmm I am unsure on what day I want to leave CR/CM so I do not have an exact date. Would a few days in advance be suffice?

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,749 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quickest way from CM to BK

Hi,

You could try a few days in advance and might be lucky, but you might not.

If you have a smartphone an app called "Thai flight" will find the best price on the route you want.

Cheers

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quickest way from CM to BK

That sounds great! Thank so much for your input!!

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,377 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quickest way from CM to BK

Mamadaliyeva, at the moment Air Asia have flights from Chiang Rai to Bangkok for 755 THB.

This sale lasts until the 27th. You would have to commit to a specific date to book.

The last flight arrives in Bangkok (DMK) around 11pm.

This would give you plenty of time to make your way to the bus station for your 6AM bus to Koh Tao.

Have fun

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,022 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quickest way from CM to BK

Hi

I live north of chaing rai.

My local town has a direct bus service to BKK

leaves at 4 pm gets in to Mo Chit at about 5:00 to 5:30 am

VIP service is around 850 baht

I am sure there are direct bus's from Chaing Rai to BKK

check out Sombat bus company they have lots of bus routes thru this area

Yes you can get cheap flight but usually the time frame and logistisc eat up time and cost more

my last trip to BKK I could get a cheap flight but it left early morning so would need to go to chaing rai and spend the night so pay for bus then pay for room then pay for taxi to airport then once in BKK pay for taxi to Mo chit. IMO not value for time and effort

every time i have taken bus they have been on time depends on compamy and route

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,022 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quickest way from CM to BK

Hi

here is a link to Sombat Tours with times and price

www.sombattour.com/html/route_check.php

It is their web site it is in thai but my computer automaticaly translates if it is in thai, copy andpaste link info on google search and google should translate it auto

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,379 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quickest way from CM to BK

The flights are reasonable and quick and it saves a lot of time. There are of course bus options but I find the time saved is worth the cost for the flight.

Safe Travels,

Broder

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quickest way from CM to BK

Inaspin,

I saw that too last night but we can't commit to what day we would arrive to CR and then leave.

sawadeeka,

I worry of giving too much time in travelling between city to city with trains and buses especially if the train runs approximately 2 hours behind (as I've read from previous forums)

Broder,

I 100% agree with you. But I am on a budget and it is not easy for me to pay $100+ for a plane ticket when there are tours and excretions that I want to do that are the same price..

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,022 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quickest way from CM to BK

Hi

I have no problems traveling by bus if you take the top class or VIP and stay with a proven company

the vast majority of travel in Thailand is by bus. that is how the local population travel

trains are few and far between and limited to what cities they service.