We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiang Rai to Krabi?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Chiang Rai to Krabi?

Which is the best option for an airline from Chiang Rai to Krabi?

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,261 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: Chiang Rai to Krabi?

Not sure, but I think you have to go via Bangkok or head to Chiang Mai and pick up one of the budget airlines like Air Asia, Nok or Thai Smile perhaps.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,975 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Chiang Rai to Krabi?

All flights to Krabi from Chiang Rai require a stop in Bangkok. All the major carriers (Thai, Bangkok Air, Air Asia & Nok Air) fly the route.

There are direct flights to Krabi from Chiang Mai, but when you add the travel time to Chiang Mai in there is no time saving.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
3. Re: Chiang Rai to Krabi?

Hi DebWinnipeg88

As Cassnu suggests go from Chiang Mai, get an early bus from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai.

Air Asia has one daily direct flight from CM to Krabi around 1pm, flight time around 2 hours.

Edited: 06 May 2014, 05:28
perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: Chiang Rai to Krabi?

Hi

Agree with mr.cycling there's no saving time and cost for catching bus from Chiangrai to Chiangmai. Bus from Chaingrai to Chaingmai is approximalty 3 hours + wating to board the planes at Chaingmai airport + cost of bus between Chiangrai to Chaingmai + taxi from bus stations to airport.

I would go from Chaingrai to Krabi via BKK save time and cost.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,975 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Chiang Rai to Krabi?

Jumping back to your original question, which we all sort of glanced over ...

Thai Airway and Bangkok Air are full service carriers, baggage, snacks included in the airfare. They both go via Suvarnabhumi where you have more food options during your layover.

Air Asia and Nok are budget carriers flying via the older Don Muang Airport. Air Asia charges extra for everything.

If your budget is not restrictive and you plan to fly the full service carriers, I might suggest Bangkok Air as they allow lounge access while you are laying over in Bangkok.

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
67 reviews
6. Re: Chiang Rai to Krabi?

Yes if budget allowed go with Bangkok airways. They have comfy lounges with snacks, drinks and wifi for you to use while waiting for boarding You only need to show boarding pass.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Chiang Rai to Krabi?

Thanks for all those great tips! My itinerary isn't set in stone yet so because I am going to both Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, it sounds like the best plan might be to go to Chiang Rai first,then Chiang Mai! I could then catch a direct flight to Krabi from Chiang Mai?!

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
67 reviews
8. Re: Chiang Rai to Krabi?

Yes from BKK go up to Chaingrai first and then catch green bus down form there to Chiangmai. Its make more sense, time save and cost.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
534 posts
54 reviews
9. Re: Chiang Rai to Krabi?

Hi, in September we are flying from Bangkok to Chiang Rai, staying there for a few days then heading to Chiang Mai for a few days. From there we have booked a direct flight to Krabi. All flights are with Air Asia, which for us even with the add ons was the cheapest option.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Chiang Rai to Krabi?

What are the Add Ons?