We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise please!

Singapore
Level Contributor
71 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Advise please!

Hi,

I am planning for a short holiday about 5-6 days in december and chance upon Chiang Rai. Saw alot of interesting activities available ...especially the sakura season and sunflower blooming in dec/Jan. Am still more researching indepth on those activities from the FAQ:Top 30 (Thanks to compilation), however would like to clarify a few questions:

1) I am traveling with a 4 year old boy, will Chiang Rai be suitable? He is very out going, we love nature, flower field and hiking.

2) If I am planning to travel on first two weeks of Dec, would I be able to see the blooming of sakura and sunflower? I read that it is recommended to stay a night at Doi Mae Salong. Also I saw there could be tea and coffee plantation around the area?

3) I read thru the forum and saw people hiring car and keen to do it too. Since we are traveling with a tod we've been doing self drive when we holiday as it allow us to adjust to our own pace. Is it advisable? How is the traffic condition like? Is places of interest all easier located using GPS? And does the locals speak English readily incase we are lost?

Alternatively if we do a mix of private guide and self drive, what places would you recommend for self drive and what places would make better sense for guide?

4) Given the current political situation, is it still safe to visit? Any curfew imposed in Chaing Rai? Sorry for asking, just wanna to be sure since we are traveling with a tod.

TIA, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise please!

Your child should be no issue, we travel all over the country with our two year old.

You should be able to see the mountain sunflowers during the time you are visiting, but you will likely be too early for Sakura flowers as they tend to bloom during January.

Driving is not too difficult, but you have to realize that Thais do not strictly obey the rules of the road, there is LOTS of give and take. Also many signs once you get off the main highways will be in Thai script. And out in the countryside, there is not a lot of English spoken. If you are planning to visit out of the way places, you might be better with a driver, if you are simply going to the major tourist stops, then self-drive is OK.

The political situation is calm and peaceful. And the curfew was lifted last night.

Singapore
Level Contributor
71 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise please!

Mr cycling, thks for your quick reply n the info. If we go on end dec can we see both sunflower n sakura ? Or what would be the recommended period if we wanna catch both flowers.

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise please!

Dear Felixecat,

You can hire a car in Chiang Rai or at the airport, you can get to Doi Mae Salong and if you head North on the superhighway 1, it is signposted off to the left at a set of traffic lights, you don't need GPS to find it. I normally recommend asking for GPS in case you want to go to places not so well signposted and it also takes the stress out of the journey because you can explore and always know you can find your way back.

There are lots of outdoor activities your 4 year old will enjoy, you might also like to take a look at Boomerang Adventure park, he opens specially for guests so it's advisable to book in advance. The rock climbing is so so, but the swing and zip lines are a lot of fun and Ken the owner is fantastic with children.

Bruce

4. Re: Advise please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2015, 05:17