We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old style accommodation in chiang rai

canberra
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Old style accommodation in chiang rai

Hi we are travelling to chiang rai in mid July looking for an old style guest house or hotel with a pool or nice garden ideally close to night markets, we are a family of four, most places look new and little stark online, advice please

Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort
#1 of 108 hotels in Chiang Rai
Le Patta
Le Patta
#2 of 108 hotels in Chiang Rai
Maryo Resort
Maryo Resort
#3 of 108 hotels in Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old style accommodation in chiang rai

Hi and welcome to the Chiang Rai forum

Old style guest houses without pool and close to the nightmarkets are Baan Norn Plearn & Baan Rub Aroon, the former is a converted kindergarten school, very quaint with charming owners and the latter is an old colonial style house with beautiful garden.

There are newer ones with pool, but they are not old style, Ben's Guesthouse is old style with pool and close to the Sunday night market, but maybe 1500 metres from the main night market.

If you can get a good rate off the internet (usually googleing their own website) you might get a good deal at Le Meridien, not old by any means, and about 2km from town but beautiful with wonderful pool.

Bruce

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai Province, Thailand
Baan Rub Aroon
Baan Rub Aroon
106 Reviews
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Le Meridien Chiang Rai...
2,354 Reviews
Chiang Rai, Thailand
canberra
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old style accommodation in chiang rai

Thanks heaps Bruce this is great we will check out theses three excellent suggestions by the way what tips re weather wise will it be very hot ?

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old style accommodation in chiang rai

Hi Ml

Weather is one of my hobby horses, I have no less than 3 inside/outside digital thermometer/weather stations in my house, at 5pm just now it's raining and the temperature has dropped outside to 28C.

July weather is very variable, if you look at this link you can see what to expect tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297920-i9940-k676…

Night times are pleasant and my air-conditioning is barely working overnight, daytimes could be anything between 26C and 35C. It definitely won't be cold but it is likely to be very wet (everywhere in Thailand in fact)

Bruce

Mentioned in this post
canberra
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old style accommodation in chiang rai

Thank you so much Bruce this is really very useful. Could you possibly help re contact to Baan Norn Plearn, I cant seem to find a website for them?

Our dates are 12-14 July, family of four.

Much appreciated and for the tips on weather as well! It wil certainly be warmer than where we are coming from!

kind reagrds ML

Mentioned in this post
Baan Norn Plearn
Baan Norn Plearn
118 Reviews
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old style accommodation in chiang rai

Hi

I just emailed you, they do have availability for one room with 2 extra beds, drop me an email as soon as you can and I will confirm it for you.

Bruce

6. Re: Old style accommodation in chiang rai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 05:19