We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing from Padang Besar to Hat Yai by train

Which Hat Yai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Beccles, United...
Level Contributor
282 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing from Padang Besar to Hat Yai by train

Hi all

I am utterly confused about the trains from Malaysia to Thailand.

Can someone please advise me how to get across the border?

I want to travel in a 1st class compartment by night train from KL to Hat Yai.

The KTMB call centre have emailed to say that I can only go as far as Padang Basar in a 1st class sleeping compartment. They suggest that I go by 2nd class sleeping berth or seat if I want to go all the way to Hat Yai. It appears that this is on the same train!

Does this mean I must book a 1st class compartment to KL to PB, get off for customs and get on the same train again but book a seat from PB to HY ??

I am actually on my way to Krabi and am wondering if it might be easier to get a mini bus/taxi from PB to Krabi ??

Many thanks

Malaysia
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing from Padang Besar to Hat Yai by train

ProspectsQ,

What KTMB mentioned is correct. Since it is sleeping berth , you will reach Padang Besar. As said, you are required to have passport chopped and get on to the same train.

Padang Besar to Hatyai has no 1st class.

At Padang Besar, there are a lot of taxi going to Hatyai. May not have taxi plying Padang Besar / Krabi.

They may have Padang Besar / Phattalung route. Then you can try Phattalung/ Krabi.

However, Padang Besar to Hatyai has more taxi. Hatyai to Krabi is also much easier . Taxi, Coaches is all there.

Beccles, United...
Level Contributor
282 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing from Padang Besar to Hat Yai by train

Vinerlies

That is incredibly helpful - many thanks.

What a relief ! I can travel 1st class after all.

Do you have any idea how much a taxi is from PB to HY ?

I understand that from HY to Krabi is quite straight forward via mini bus.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing from Padang Besar to Hat Yai by train

prospectsQ,

taxi from PB to Hatyai- not too sure , just do a guess (should not be too far away) - about 400 Baht per taxi. They used to group single passenger together to make up a full load, and the pax pay pro-rata, not too sure now, can always enquire.

yes, from Hatyai to Krabi is very straight forward, should have no stop in between except petrol filling.

By the way, you can also check on Air Asia , it does fly from KL to Hatyai.

Regards

Beccles, United...
Level Contributor
282 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing from Padang Besar to Hat Yai by train

Great. I guess I will find out if I can share when I arrive in PB.

I really fancied the train as I did it years ago on a lengthy backpacking trip and am on a trip down memory lane...

Much appreciated

9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Crossing from Padang Besar to Hat Yai by train

Actually second class sleeper also a good choice. Dont bother for the first class, second class sleeper is comfortable. Im travel to bangkok by train from Butterworth, and take second class sleeper, very comfortable.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,935 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crossing from Padang Besar to Hat Yai by train

We've done the 2nd class sleeper from Butterworth to Hat Yai and it was comfortable and good being able to meet other travellers. Bring snacks and water as trains often arrive in late and you could end up starving.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Crossing from Padang Besar to Hat Yai by train

Hi.

I travelled from PB to HY recently. We were a family of 3 and booked the whole taxi. It costs 600 baht. You need to bargain because thai drivers will ask more if they know you are tourists.

I am not sure whether they will pack other passengers if the taxi not full and how it is charged. Logically you just divide the charges among the passengers sharing the cab.

We fetched the cab at the free tax zone shopping complex at the Malaysia border near the immigration.

Hope you have a nice trip.

Sungai Petani...
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Crossing from Padang Besar to Hat Yai by train

Hi I am Yusof from Sg Petani. It is correct that the same train of 1st and 2nd class from KL to Hatyai. But the 1st class coach will be left behind in PB and 2nd class coach will continue the journey to Hadyai.

So if you plan to use 1st class, you also should buy a 2nd class (sitting seat) from PB to Hatyai too. This ticket you can buy at KL Sentral train station, so at PB you jut hope from 1st class to the 2nd class coach since train will be stopped about 30 minutes at PB. You can call me +60124201952 for more explanation. Tq

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crossing from Padang Besar to Hat Yai by train

Yusof - I am hoping to travel from Bangkok to Singapore by train in April - Am I right in thinking that I can take a 1st class sleeper to Hat Yai and then take a 2nd class seat to Padang Besar and change to my ( already purchased) 1st class sleeper to KL? - is it possible to buy all the tickets I need from abroad?

Sungai Petani...
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Crossing from Padang Besar to Hat Yai by train

Dear Gerhard S S,

For Thai railway as I know you can buy ticket online but the ticket must be collected at travel agent office. That mean you cannot print a ticket as you done for malayan railway (malaysian train). Thank you