We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hua Hin!!!

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hua Hin!!!

Hello, everyone!

Our plans are reaching their final touches. We plan on arriving into Bangkok, staying overnight and then heading to Hua Hin. Our questions are:

1) What would be the safest/best transportation from Bangkok to Hua Hin without flying? Train, taxi, bus...?

2)Is Thailand safe enough to take camcorders, wedding ring? I know danger lurks EVERYWHERE in the world and common sense is the best rule to abide by. However, as a frequent traveller, I know some places are more predominantly dangerous than others. Please advise. Thanks!

If there is any suggestion on what to do in Hua Hin, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Charms

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hua Hin!!!

Hi Charms,

We went to Thailand two years ago with our two children ,we travelled from Kanchanburi to Hua Hin with a driver , then picked up a car and drove ourselves to Phuket, at all the strange little places we found , and even lost once at night time in Bangkok we never felt unsafe. Like you said common sense is the best rule, keep an eye on your things but don't be paranoid, must say I would not go to a country where I was worried they might take my wedding ring!!

Hua Hin, we only stopped here one night to pick up our car but regretted not been able to stay longer, there is a great night market and wonderful reasturants along the water built high on peers, while we were eating at one the king and queen walked in, it was quite an experience, but one that happens a lot apparently, so look out for them. We saw ponies you can ride on the beach all dressed up in pretty colours, lots of shopping here, since we have been back I have told a few frienda about Hua HIn and they all loved it .

Not far south of Hua Hin is a temple that was on my list of things to see, we missed out on it becuase of my map reading, from memory it is in a big cave? try and find out about it .

Wish it was me going have fun!

Bangkok
Level Contributor
247 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hua Hin!!!

1) The best transportation should be driving by yourself. You can rent a car from airport and drive to Hua Hin. The journey take about 4 hours (i'm not sure about this but shoule be arond 4 hrs.) Another way is the bus, but this might not convenience for you if your hotel location quite isolate from the city center.

2)This is rely on your consideration to choose the shop for buying sth. A big shop in Shopping Mall is reliable. As I said, it depens on your aspect too.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hua Hin!!!

Taxis and limos are available 24/7, unless on a tight budget take a limo, probably about US$ 75-85, taxi roughly US$ 60, these are available from the airport or your hotel in Bangkok can arrange.

About 2 hrs 30 mins outside of rush hours.

I would never ever suggest anyone took a 'rental' to get to Hua Hin !

There are lots of sightseeing opportunities, go through the forum and you will find many, just go down a few posts and you will see even last day or so discussion about temples and beaches.

Instead of repeating many comments about places do browse back as a large amount about sights, day trips.

Safetly just use common sense as you would anywhere, Hua Hin is quite safe and tame, nothing to worry about at all.

Worcester UK
Level Contributor
759 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hua Hin!!!

We have recently returned from Hua Hin, having had a great holiday with our 2 children (11 and 9). There were no times at which we felt unsafe in Hua Hin. You will be fine with cameras jewellery etc. - just usual common sense applies.

We got an airport limo / taxi which cost UK Pounds 60 for a 4 wheel drive - very comfortable, and just booked it as we arrived at the airport.

Where are you staying in Bangkok? Last year we stayed at Dusit Thani, and went down to HH in their shuttle bus (can't remember price, but cheaper than taxi) - even though we weren't staying at Dusit HH. We just got dropped off there, and took a taxi for short ride to our hotel in HH. SOme of the other hotels do this too I believe.

I really wouldn't advise driving yourself - the road is not at all good - sometimes you just go round a corner to find they are in the middle of resurfacing, there is no tarmac and you just hit a bump, whack! Also sticking to lanes on the road seems to be optional - drivers just take the path they need to go!

As for what to do - we didn't do much at all, relaxed by pool and on beach. We had lots of foot massages (about 300 baht for an hour), ate some very good meals and generally just chilled. The elephant village is a good trip if you haven't ridden on one before. The evening markets are full of bargains and worth a look too - with some good cheap places to eat alongside the stalls.

Hope you have a great time!

WW

Helsinki,Finland
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hua Hin!!!

Hey I got contact of a taxi driver,the big cap,last time I used his service to pattaya he told me the price for Hua Hin,if im not wrong he will charge you about 2,700 THB per trip.

I think it worth,you can ask him to pick you up at the airport on your arrival or either at the hotel.

The cap contain about 4-6 persons,depend on how big of luggages U got :)

E-mail to me if you would like to have his e-mail address or phone number.

Soli

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,928 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hua Hin!!!

Hi

I take my laptop with me to thailand no problem

use common sense. I find Bangkok much safer than Oakland Calif.

I think there is a van that leaves from the victory monument and goes to Hua Hin several times a day.

Hua hin is great for long walks on the beach and good food.

Frizington, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hua Hin!!!

Hi,

We are doing the same trip as yourselves, we have booked a taxi with Mr Roong who runs a Limo service,(well maybe not a Limo) his e mail address is "roongsayam@hotmail.com", sorry, we haven't been with him before but he comes highly recommended by fellow TA members, he is apparently a good driver, guide, and full of info.

We have booked him for Dec and the price from BKK to Hua Hin is 2,000 Baht, so don't drive, just sit back and enjoy the ride, Mr Roong assures me it's 2.5 hrs, we did the same trip by train last year, and although it was an experience it took neary 4 hrs, - hope this helps,

Latch.

PS Hua Hin and Thailand in general is great and trouble free, we have been to H/H 4 times now and found it brilliant, if you like sea food try Ket Surin ( i think thay's how you spell it) it's one of the restaurant, with a pier, you won't be dissapointed.

L

Benoni, South Africa
Level Contributor
145 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hua Hin!!!

Hi Charms

I have read most of the replies and just CANNOT believe that m people are suggesting it is not safe to drive form bangkok to Hua Hin in your own car. It is absolutely safe and straightforward and very well signposted.

However the nicest way of getting there if time is not a major issue is to catch the train esp. one of the Express trains which will be about a 4 and a half hour stress free journey.

In Hua Hin and Cha Am there are 15 or more car hire "companies", although I suggest you use a proper one to get the Insurance legitametly in place. Even at a 1000-1200 Baht a day it is still cheaper than using Tuk Tuks to get around and the freedom is great

We have been to Thailand 5 times, done Bangkok and Phuket extensively then Krabi, Khao Lak and Cha Am and always used our own car to get around and only once had a slight problem when a girl in a motor cycle rode into us, which I resolved by gesticulating how badly in the Wrong she was, and I mean in the WRONG.

We have NEVER had any incidents regarding crime but then again I live in the most dangerous City Country in the World, we are perhaps more aware ... NOT paranoid, just aware!!

Regards

Gazz

9. Re: Hua Hin!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 23:16