We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel? Anantara or Marriott

wales
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel? Anantara or Marriott

In february 07 we stayed for one week at Krabi in the Sheraton and two weeks at koh Samui in the Tongsai bay. We are considering staying at the Anantara in february 08 for 3 weeks. Can someone please tell me which is the best hotel for the beach and swimming and the price of a taxi to hua hin town from the hotels.

bolton
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel? Anantara or Marriott

we have stayed at the Anantara from 16th August for 8 nights, the hotel is lovely !

The anantara is right on the beach - the beach is not the best - looks quite nice but not as clean as Koh samui beaches and the sea is no where near as clear- in fact we hardly saw anybody swim! Its nice to stroll along though.

We used to get a baht bus from the reception at the Anantara every night for 9 people and used to pay between 150 and 200 baht ,into the centre of hua hin but the hotel does have a courtesy bus which i believe you can book.We used this one night.

I cant really give you any opinions about the Marriott as we only passed this , but I would certianly recommend the Anantara.The staff are lovely and if you are there for 3 weeks you will really get to know them.One bar man ( Pet) finished work at 11pm but came to watch us late night swimming and to talk about thailand etc and did not leave till about 1 am . He was great!

Also Frank , used to play table tennis with us every morning and was absolutely lovely !

i am sure you would not be disppointed with the Anantara

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel? Anantara or Marriott

Both are good, you will probably find the beach at the Marriott wider, you 'can' walk into town from the Marriott and you can also walk to the new mall and to the weekend night market at Grand Plaza.

There are plenty of others such as the Sofitel, Hyatt Regency, Wora Bura etc, had you though of any of the others ?

The Hague, The...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel? Anantara or Marriott

Appreciate very much with your insight & valued recommendations however, found a pity at those that sought tips don't return a courtesy reply ,, which is a shame to observe, but thumbs UP to you Monica! I wondered if you are or will be any where in Hua Hin to meet us when we visit Hua Hin during Oct 12 thru 16 from a possible coach ride from Bangkok?

I am searching for a place, with Fitness, Wifi and generous breakfast to start with and the next dilemma is, I'm not sure if being near or dead center in town proximity is my choice or preferably, booked in a Golf course resort?

I need some help on suggestions and wise tips to decide. Both my wife and me are simply seeking two days of starting golfing at a golf course at Black Mountain GC, the remaining two days dining out on good sea (spicy also) food in city center but must have little difficulty with cab transportation back and forth to city and resort room.

Shopping is not for us nor swimming by sea or poolside nor tanning either. We are here to relax, spent only "a day" on a business discussion conference with Partners and the rest of available time to enjoy sights in and around Hua Hin....to get to know more about this seaside town. Budget for room per day around $55-$70, is that possible during those four days?

Thanks to anyone with a speedy solution if Monica just happened to be away and not read my post... :)

D & P.

flechd@gmail.com

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
3,276 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel? Anantara or Marriott

Cottageville we stayed at the Marriott in July for the 2nd time and we loved it.The breakfast is really excellent with choices of European food and asian which was served buffet style.You will not be disappointed with breakfast.

The hotel also organise your golf for you with courtesy bus to all courses except Black Mountain(although this may now be included).I played Lake View and Majestic Creek and the latter was much superior of the 2.

The Hague, The...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel? Anantara or Marriott

Thanks MW... for your reply which prompted me to respond immediately (sheer luck and coincidence I am on the PC this moment) on the two options.

While browsing the other evening and saddened by the deaths perished in Phuket, it had an impact on our traveling mode soon after esp for my wife. We then decided, no flying then plying between BKK and HH...its like a similar distance between our homes on either side of the border that we take quite regularly ( door to door, approx 245kms), so this is not a pain to endure a drive even for a new & foreign place.

We ended up booking Wora Bura & Springfield as we were interested to relax too within a suitable environment. two days out of 5 were available at Wora Bura ...so we had to pass that one for Springfield which cost around 6K odd Bahts for a Deluxe Studio!!! Surprisingly, after quoting my IATA TID card#, I am offered a cool discount of almost 3,8K Bahts!!! We decided on that reservation.

They offered to fetch us from our hotel at Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok and returning us again on the 2,5 hour drive after check-out for almost 12K Bahts for us two only.

I called Hertz, with my #1 Gold membership card and I had an upgrade on a 4x4 car for just over 8K Bahts between 11th and 17th All-in with Insurance and unlimited mileage.

It is a fantastic bargain for us from Europe! the only thing is troubling me was the GPS is not available for the Rentals hence, I had to scout around, browsed about on the Net and Forums and understood one thing, in Thailand, the most reliable source and mapping is obtained from ESRI, in Bangkok center, nowhere else!!! The only GPS brand that was selected for the protocol download is with Garmin .

My TomTom 910 was of no use at all, dashed to Belgium and bought a Garmin 650 instead of the 650T or 660, as I don't need all the three enhance features involving MP3 and TMC which Thailand is not providing as yet (not for another 10 years for certain).

Why I add all these extra information? I think it would benefit and be useful to someone someday... who knows?

Why Black Mountain Golf Course? It opened this year and being the successful course appointed to host the 2008 PGA Asian Tournament in March 2008, I know the Developer there and also bought a Cottage pooled Villa as well, ready by end 2008. It would be nice to give and feel the new swing of the greens where our next Villa is located, by the fringe of the golf course and just about 3 mins walk to the Club house.

Thus, no Anantara or Marriott for us, my business partner recommended these two as well among 5 others they have a favorable contract with but I now have a better lodge with Springfield and a terrific discount through my IATA TID card.

Should we meet someday, cheers to you with a pinta from a Guinness from me!

Des.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel? Anantara or Marriott

Wora Bura is lovely, the location and eating at night over the beach near the pool is lovely.

The design is amazing, very Sofitel / Raffles but at the same time facilities are untra-modern, lovely spa also.

For Rest and Relaxation Wora Bura is lovely.

Do note there are '2' Springfields !

One is their Golf Resort which is inland at the Golf Course and the other one is the Springfield beach Resort which is high rise and on the beach in Cha Am.

The Hague, The...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel? Anantara or Marriott

Thank you Monica and for the pointer (....or putting). Yes, decided to put up at the beach, requested the best upper room with the scotching view, letting the sun rays blasting its way in at the break of dawn...

We will be golfing with our Developer-partner on the lovely Black Mountain greens itself hence, avoided the Golf Resort.

We shall book at Wora Bura on the next trip we make after the Alaska Cruise by Royal Carribean and perhaps, be in time to return to Bangkok, coinciding with the March PGA Tournament in Hua Hin.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel? Anantara or Marriott

Sounds good, enjoy the Alaska cruise !

The Hague, The...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel? Anantara or Marriott

Kap poon Khah and first trip first...Asia!!! Then breeze in with golfing with the east winds...!

10. Re: Which hotel? Anantara or Marriott

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 12:32
Get answers to your questions about Hua Hin