We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hua Hin beach quality?

Which Hua Hin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
58 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Hua Hin beach quality?

We're a mid-20's couple planning a 8-day trip in early May. A friend advised us that Hua Hin was a nice, low key place for a beach holiday, but I have been reading reviews saying the quality of the beach is only so-so. If we're looking for a place where the beaches are nice for swimming (pretty clear water, clean sand, not too rough of waves) and a little snorkeling, would we be better off choosing someplace else, like Phuket?

The hotels I have been looking at in Hua Hin appear to be great (and quite reasonable in cost), but at the same time, I'd be disappointed if we arrived to discover it was better to sit by the pool than on the beach. Night life is not a huge concern - we're going to relax, not party. Thanks in advance for helping point us in right direction!

America
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hua Hin beach quality?

If the beach is your main priority, and if you like to snorkel or skin dive then go to Phuket. You may want to research Ko Chang, Ko Samui, Ko Samet as well if you are just looking for beach and relaxation.

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
2,929 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hua Hin beach quality?

Alynn the beach in Hua Hin is only average with the area around the Marriott probably about the best.If your heart is set on going to the beach then there are better resorts for you.Hua Hin however has a lot to offer in many other ways and I'm sure that you would have a great time there.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
58 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hua Hin beach quality?

Thank you to both of you for sharing your insights.

AddictedtoThailand - How easy is it to access Ko Chang, Ko Samaui, etc, as opposed to Phuket (we'd fly). We'll be flying through Bangkok, and I'm hoping to also do an overnight at one of the elephant parks (probably in the middle of our stay, but could do it as a stopover while traveling to/from Bangkok), so transportation is important.

Motherwell1991 - Are there specific activities that are "better" in Hua Hin than other places? My heart is somewhat set on the beach, but as my partner is content to sit by a nice pool, he might be able to sway my opinion if there are other fun things to keep us occupied when we're not lounging :)

Thanks again for all your help!

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hua Hin beach quality?

You can easily fly to Koh Samui and Phuket from Bangkok. Takes 1 hour is a cheap. Both places have very nice beaches and elephants. I prefer Koh Samui.

I have also been at Ko Samet and Ko Chang and these places are very nice and relaxing, but with very limited restaurant choices and shopping possibilities. You can drive from the airport and take a small speedboat. Will take totally 5-6 hours.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
81 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hua Hin beach quality?

Koh Samet and Koh Chang definitely have better beach than Hua Hin and a low key lifestyle as you would prefer. Bangkok to Koh Samet includes 2 hours car ride + 30 mins ferry transfer and Koh Chang includes 4 hours car ride + 40 mins ferry transfer.

I personally swam in Hua Hin sea 3 times at most and I religiously spend my weekend there. So if the clear water is your top priority, the extra travelling time to Koh samet and Koh Chang will be worth it. Dont get me wrong, I do love going to Hua Hin for its ambiance, night market and delicious local seafood but the sea there is just not for me.

America
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hua Hin beach quality?

Hi alynn627, Ko Samui you can access by Bangkok airways, or by Ferry, if by ferry you can take an overnight train from Bangkok, where you will disembark at Suratthani station very early in the morning, from where you are taken by bus to the ferry for the 1 to 2 hour crossing to Samui from the mainland.

Ko Chang you must fly or take bus or other means to Trat, and then take a Ferry to Ko Chang. By the way in my honest opinion. For quieter times and relaxation, I prefer Ko Samui to Phuket, its more of a laid back atmosphere, if I was still in my twenties and still enjoyed the night life, I would probably go to Phuket. BTW, not to discourage you from going to Hua Hinn, there is quite a lot to do in Hua Hinn, the restaurants, nightlife shopping, there is a national park nearby and the rest of the surrounding areas are great but the beaches are no comparison to that you would find in Phuket, Ko Chang, Ko Samui or Ko Samet.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
58 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hua Hin beach quality?

Thanks again to everyone for all your advice. Based on posting here, my own research, and travel accessibility, I think we'll probably head towards Phuket for the majority of our trip this time. We should be able to get everything we're looking for there or close by (and I do suppose that after so many days of relaxing on the beach, we'll want to have a night or two out anyway!)

It does sound like no matter what area one chooses, there will be plenty to do for a great holiday!

Best,

A

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,018 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hua Hin beach quality?

If you're willing to fly, I'd recommend you go rather to Krabi (on Air Asia or Nok Air) and then stay at one of the fabulous beaches such as Railay or Ao Nang. Or an off-shore island like Koh Lanta or Koh Jum. See http://www.kohjumonline.com/

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hua Hin beach quality?

Just back from Koh Chang - on the main beaches the water quality was only so-so I'mn afraid to report. Rampant development may have something to do with this or the fact the sea is so calm at the moment there none of the cr@p is being taken out by winds/tides.

10. Re: Hua Hin beach quality?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 11:21