We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jelly fish

Which Hua Hin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wales
Level Contributor
125 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
jelly fish

Hi all,

we are thinking of going to Hua Hin May or June can any one tell me if jelly fish are in the sea,also is it safe to swim .Thanks JAN//////.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,477 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jelly fish

The sea is grey and rocky and I most certainly would not swim in it. There were jelly fish on the beach so I assume there would be jelly fish in the sea also.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jelly fish

Depends which beach area. It is rocky around the Hilton and just south from there but there are different beach areas / beaches so depends where you are staying ( ? )

cli
Hua Hin, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: jelly fish

Jellyfish tend to come and go with the seasons, tides and currents as does the clarity of the water, breezes coming from the sea bring them in closer and of course the opposite when wind blowing out to sea. You tend to find the dry season as we call it they are a lot fewer than in the rainy season mainly because of the wind direction at these times of the year.

I've never had any qualms about going in the sea as indeed nor do a great many other people from what I see and I rarely hear of anyone getting stung although of course it can happen. Just keep your eyes open and look as you swim and the one thing you can be sure of is that Jellyfish don't chase you.

Clarity of water is never great in the area but go down to Dolphin Bay you can see the bottom most days for quite a far distance out.

wales
Level Contributor
125 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jelly fish

Thanks for that,thinking to go to Marriott Resort ,it says in brochure [set on its own white sandy beach} is that right ?or is the sea like Pattaya ,you could not swim there to dirty.JAN/////////.

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jelly fish

Jan don't let the jellyfish put you off. If you are staying at the Marriott the pool and surroundings are beautiful. the sea has been fairly cloudy on both previous occasions we have been to Hua Hin but we haven't been put off and will be there again in June.

You will enjoy the town especially at night as there is a true Thai atmosphere.

Lots of nice restaurants, bars and shops to visit. Also the night market and massage places. Jim

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jelly fish

Beaches are better than Pattaya also

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
205 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jelly fish

The few times I was at Hua Hin, I find the beaches around Marriot and south of it generally nice and clean. I had seen dead jelly fish on the beach but not live ones in the water. It should not be a problem but to be safe swim in the hotel pool but enjoy lovely walks along the beach. Compared to Pattaya, Hua Hin beaches beat Pattaya hands down! You will not find endless vendors harrassing you. Maybe a few but much better than Pattaya and Phuket.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: jelly fish

We were in Hua Hin 3 week aga and the sea was blue and clear, the sand cool and white. We enjoyed many lovely swims.

Not sure what area some of these posters are referring to but we stayed at Baan Laksasubha just south of the Marriott and it was fantastic. And given that we live near some of the best beaches on the planet - that's saying something ;-)

Redhill, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: jelly fish

Hi Jan,

We are down the coast at Pran Buri at present, but have been over to Hua Hin a couple of times. A few jelly fish are washed up at night but it doesn't seem to put anyone off, and as I have seen them being cleared by hand, I guess this species isn't so bad??

The sea is not clear anywhere round here so it's a good bet to get a hotel with pool as back up. It hasn't put us off having a splash in the sea. But the two killer whales we saw yesterday morning means we won't be swimming far!!

Have fun,

Mike

Redhill, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: jelly fish

To Jan and anyone else reading my earlier post, I must apologise for the niaive inaccuracy it contained. Yesterday we met a Kitesurfing instructor in Pran Buri who has lived here for 7 years. He was badly stung the same day and informed us that there are 3 types of jellyfish between Hua Hin and Pran Buri; large white which are most common and not too painful, small white which hurt more and by far the worst worst, small brown. He was stung by the latter and as he did not go to hospital straight away, expects to be scarred for life. As I should have remembered from school days, its only the tentacles that sting.

Considering we have been here 3 weeks, I guess ignorance was bliss! My bad.