We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our holiday in Hua HIn November 2012

Torrevieja, Spain
Level Contributor
265 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Our holiday in Hua HIn November 2012

Left Devon for Heathrow alowing time for 3 hours for check in & 2 extra just in case. Just as well because we ran into road works, bottle necks & hold ups all the way. The journey took over 5 hours. Pre booked purple parking, parked up & then got stuck in traffic again going to termina 3. Finally got to check in & through to departures with 20 minutes to spare, 4 of us power walked to the bar for a quick beer before before heading off on our Thai adventure. All very excited by now.

We flew with Oman Air (again) around £500 per person. Nice planes with rows of 2, 4 & 2 seats. Good inflight entertainment. Stopped at Muscat, had time for a coffee then onto next flight for Bangkok.

Only took about 25 minutes to clear imigration & collect luggage,much better than when we went in March when it was nearer to 2 hours. Afer reading many reviews on TA we decided on Mr Roong for our transfer to Hua Hin.

I'm sorry to say we had a very bad experience. The vehicle was not in good condition, especially the suspention.The driver, a young man,was very erratic. Overtaking everything, inches off of the vehicle in front & swerving from lane to lane to overtake everything. At one point he swung into the inside lane to undertake nearly driving into the back off a slow moving lorry.He had to slam his brakes on & swerve back into the middle lane. I don't know what speed he was doing as his speedometer didn't work but it was definately too fast for the condition of the van. He stopped half way, none of us got out because I don't think we could have got back in again.My husband asked him to please drive slower which he did for most of the remaining journey but he was on his mobile phone talking. We e-mailed Mr Roong the next morning to say we didn't require his services for the return trip & the reason why. He didn't get back to us. I see that most people have had good experiences with Mr Roong, unfortunately we can't say the same.

Our Hotel for the next 13 nights, Smile Resort. It's a new hotel in soi 94, we came across it when exploring on our last trip. Very pleased with our choice, have done a review.Paid around 1,350 baht per room per night with complimentary breakfast. For us (2 couples mid 50's) it's a good location. Close enough to the centre to either walk or get a tuk tuk, also there's the green 10 baht bus. New, now is a 10 baht bus that goes around soi 94, Market Village, night market, train station & back round to soi 94. Driver is looking out for you, toots as he comes along & stops where ever you ring the bell.

Straight across the main road takes you to a nice part of the beach.

There was a lot of rubbish on the beach when we first got there, people were clearing & picking it up early in the mornings & within a couple of days most of it was gone. The beach is great for walking & a sun bed is only 50 baht. We sat most days at the Morning Beach resaurant/bar.5 * service on the beach. The beach vendors don't worry us, you know what you're looking to buy so I just say no thankyou to the things I don't want. But there's always something different that comes along that you can't resist. We talk to some of the vendors, seems they come down from North Thailand, leaving their families behind to work for 5 or 6 months as there is no work where they live.

This was a budget, relaxing, get some sun & enjoy Thailand

holiday as we've had no summer in England this year.

We did go to the train station one morning & walked back along the top road, watching people going about their daily jobs. We had wondered what all the half or 3/4 full bottles of liquid for sale in most road side shops were. Until we were sat enjoying a cold beer when a motor bike pulled up & paid 30 baht for a bottle & poured it into the tank of his bike. Went up monkey mountain & walked down past the sea food restaurants & boats...checking the monkeys wern't behind us. Sat on the beach with our toes dangling in the sea with the golden budha looking down on us, what a magical setting.

We enjoyed lovely food,in the night market on the beach, cheap restaurants & even cheaper restaurants. We talked with lots of different people in lots of different places. Like the monk that needed help to lift 2 heavy bags up onto a winch so he could get in down on a wire to his house.

The only day we had a bit of rain we took a tuk tuk to Huay Mongkol Temple & then on to the floating market. So there's still more for us to see when we go back but we don't need an excuse, we're going back.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Smile Hua - Hin Resort
Smile Hua - Hin Resort
134 Reviews
Hua Hin, Thailand
Hua Hin Market Village
Hua Hin Market Village
738 Reviews
Hua Hin, Thailand
Huay Mongkol Temple
Huay Mongkol Temple
1,274 Reviews
Hua Hin, Thailand
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,177 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our holiday in Hua HIn November 2012

Hi,

Good to see you enjoyed despite the initial transport issues. Are you going back to Hua Hin or elsewhere ?

Torrevieja, Spain
Level Contributor
265 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our holiday in Hua HIn November 2012

Going to Xiamen, China in March via Bangkok. Spending 1 night Bangkok first. 5 days Xiamen then got 7 days to relax in the sun. Hua Hin seems to grow on you so going back. Don't Know where to stay in Bangkok yet though, it's just 1 evening. Want to wander around streets, eat food, maybe street stalls. Got flight at 4pm on a Sunday to China. Stayed at Shangrila last March, treated by my brother, bit out of my prce range.

Mentioned in this post
Xiamen
Xiamen
Fujian, China
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our holiday in Hua HIn November 2012

Glad you enjoyed, pity the transport a bit hit or miss. Oriental Escape charge I think B 2,650.

I heard there was some rough seas and a lot of stuff washed up on the beach, my sister told me that a lot of groups had gone out to clear things up, nice to see that happening.

Yes Hua Hin has a very different 'vibe' to many of the over touristy spots, that is because it remains over and above everything else a Thai town, welcomes visitors from everywhere, but manages to remain firmly a Thai style destination. I think a lot more people would appreciate how nice it is to be able to sit and watch normal daily life, gives a deep insight into how people live and helps to appreciate the place.

I hope you enjoyed Wat Huay Mongkol ?

Edited: 21 November 2012, 03:06
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,177 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our holiday in Hua HIn November 2012

Hi,

Plenty of places that fill the bill in Bangkok but I would stay near a Skytrain station. Good luck in planning for Xiamen.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Torrevieja, Spain
Level Contributor
265 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our holiday in Hua HIn November 2012

Hi Monica, yes we did enjoy our visit to Huay Mongkol temple, very peaceful. Had a wander around the gardens. We took a scenic route going, passing sugar cane? & paddy fields I think. Saw buffalo, though not wild ones.

We enjoy walking around the soi's, never know what you'll see.

Don't know how some people manage to survive on the little they have to sell in their shacks. 2 apples,bottles of water & fuel ofcourse. I bought the apples for a horse. We used these little outlets rather than the big ones when we could.

Thanks Andy, flight are booked (Thai air) got my Nancy Chandler map of Bangkok that I Bought in Hua Hin.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our holiday in Hua HIn November 2012

Does put things into perspective doesn't it.

I also like to 'spread my spending around' and try to go to little shops whenever I can as against the large malls.

If you ventured to the Northeast of the country and elsewhere you would see people surviving on way far less.

Next time try and go to the Kui Buri protective elephant reseve, 90 mins from town, you see elephants living free ( yet protected ) in the wild, their behavour is life inspiring, classic experience.

Mentioned in this post
Kui Buri
Kui Buri
Prachuap Khiri Khan Province, Thailand
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
733 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our holiday in Hua HIn November 2012

Thanks for the trip report, love reading them. It sounds like you had a lovely laid back time. We are off next March and I am really looking forward to returning to Thailand - it will be our first time to Hua Hin.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our holiday in Hua HIn November 2012

Great report, thanks sounds like you had a relaxing stay. Considering returning to Thailand next year and have been looking at Hua Hin as we haven't been on our prior visits, I think you have convinced me. Deb

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our holiday in Hua HIn November 2012

I'm flying tomorrow to BKK then Hua Hin!

Thanks for the trip report! I was kind of concerned about jellyfish, did you see some?

I'm going there with my family for kitesurfing so really exposed all day to anything that might be in the water.

Thanks

Paris
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our holiday in Hua HIn November 2012

Thanks for this trip report. I'm flying tomorrow to BKK and then Hua Hin for a kitesurfing week with my family. I heard that jellyfish can be a pain there depending on the season and the clarity of the water. Have you seen any?

I'm quite concerned I wouldn't want these creatures to ruin my stay :-)

Sorry for if any mistakes in my wording... I'm French

Isabelle

Get answers to your questions about Hua Hin