We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worthwhile leaving the resort?

Level Contributor
1,350 posts
398 reviews
Save Topic
Worthwhile leaving the resort?

We'll be travelling in Thailand and Cambodia intensely in February. We plan on ending our vacation in Huan Hin where we will be guests of the Rest Detail for 3 nights before a long and gruelling trip to Canada. And rest is the raison d’être of our stay in Hua Hin.

Is there a restaurant(s) or site that calls for us to leave the comfort of the resort? We are foodies.

Thanks.

1. Re: Worthwhile leaving the resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 January 2013, 13:34
2. Re: Worthwhile leaving the resort?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 January 2013, 13:33
3. Re: Worthwhile leaving the resort?

4. Re: Worthwhile leaving the resort?

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worthwhile leaving the resort?

Rest Detail has a restaurant though have never eaten there.

Hua Hin is famous for food in particular seafood, there are over the water restaurants close to the fishing pier at the Eaterfront, also the night market has masses of places to eat, restaurants, food stalls, it is cheap and easy enough. Lots of other restaurants in town

Perhaps lunch at the resort and then you have lots of choices in the evening even if just going from your resort to a restaurant and return. In addition to Thai there are Italian, Japanese, French and other cuisines.

Edited: 18 December 2012, 07:35
6. Re: Worthwhile leaving the resort?

Level Contributor
1,350 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worthwhile leaving the resort?

Monica,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, Rest does have a couple of restaurants that are reputed to be good.

I expect that we will try them and, if they are good, continue to eat there Based on other previous hard travel, unless there is something that is noteworthy, we may eat early and go to bed. Our journey will be very, very challenging.

We wondered if there were a site or restaurant that is synonomous with the town. In other words, one of those places that are of the "you gotta eat here" or "gotta go there" genre. In other words - you mean you went to Hua Hin and you didn't eat at .... or see .....

For example, in Montreal, there's a deli called Schwartz's that sells Montreal smoked beef sandwiches and platters. The staff is rude, service is fast efficient and without grace, and the food, while good, is not the best meat in town. But it has been part of the cultural fabric and history of the city for years and years, and no visit to that city is complete without a visit to Schwartz's.

Thanks again for your help. Have a happy and healthy new year.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,256 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worthwhile leaving the resort?

Have you had a look at the restaurant reviews for ideas? Always a good place to start. However, I must admit looking at your OP I thought you were looking for a "signature" restaurant but not quite along the lines of a Schwartz's. To be honest before our long trip home to the UK (it takes us 24 hours+ in elapsed time point to point) I look for somewhere safe for our last meals. The last thing we want is a memorable case of the Thailand Trots (not that there is such a thing) on our journey home! :-)

Level Contributor
1,350 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worthwhile leaving the resort?

Hello Arandora,

I did look at the restaurant reviews but none that I read istruck as signature in the sense of iconic

I take your point about last meals. We hope to avoid problems, of course. We have been lucky Had one bout of Noro virus at the Ritz Carlton in Jamaica which may have been food borne and demonstrates that one must be careful, even in the so-called best places. Had to get on a light 3 passenger plane literally held together with duct tape to fly to Negril the next morning. Oh my!

My partner and I took Dukoral last year prior to travelling to India and Nepal. We stayed well, but were extremely careful about food choices. The meds may have had nothing to do with our health. Also used the Pepto protocol while in Mexico one year. It is said to be more efficacious than Dukorol. Did have ugly black tongues, however.

Once was on my way overseas and in Pearson. An overseas flight landed and was met by first responders with stretchers and IVs. Several had gone down with some gastro thing. Must have been very unpleasant for all passengers.

Thanks so much for your post. Happy new year and safe travels.

Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worthwhile leaving the resort?

Hua Hin is synonymous with great seafood, and although it's not necessarily the best cuisine, we always enjoy the pier restaurants for the experience. There's nothing quite like sitting on a jetty, with the ocean under your feet. We like Songthai, but it's not the prettiest one on the stretch, but it does have a great atmosphere. Other than that, how about eating in the main night market? Also very atmospheric - we like Chilli Bird and Rod Fai. I suspect that when you get to Hua Hin you will wish you had longer.

Mags

Get answers to your questions about Hua Hin