We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hua Hin jbr

Which Hua Hin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pissouri, Cyprus
Level Contributor
44 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Hua Hin jbr

Just back from 2 weeks in Hua Hin and agree with others that there are not enough JBRs for Hua Hin, so here goes...

We stayed at Baan Sansuk which is a condo just a couple of doors down from the Wora Bora towards Khao Takiab. The grounds of this complex are spectacular and there is also direct access to the beach. On our first day we thought we may be too far out of the centre, but soon changed our minds once we got used the bus in to town in the evening and a tuk tuk (great fun) back.

Unfortunately our stay did not get off to a good start as my husband got food poisoning from lunch on the first day. Such a shame as we had really enjoyed our lunch, but possibly he had a bad shrimp in his tom yum goong. We had to stop the tuk tuk for him to be ill on our way back in the evening after a very hurried meal where he ate nothing and I bolted my food down. The driver was very sympathetic and even offered him water.

Luckily the next morning he was fully recovered and we had our first massage at Massage Me, which was not too far from us opposite the Amari. In total we went 3 times which is a recommendation in itself.

We went to the Cicada market twice, both on the Saturday night. The food area is great – a really good choice and also the desserts are great. Loved the mango with sticky rice and also the frozen bananas dipped in chocolate and nuts. The market itself is also very good for jewellery and accessories, many sold by the people who make them.

For the rest of the time we ate at restaurants along the street where the Hilton is (thanks to Monica). There is a very good choice and we never had a bad meal.

I did the Thai Cooking Course with Beau which included a visit to the market to buy the food first. I took the tum yum goong back for my husband and he said it was the best he had ever had. If you are al all interested in cookery, I would recommend it. The course also takes place at her home, which is very nice to see.

We also took a trip out to Hua Hin Hills winery, where we took the tapas and tasting package. It is a really good day out. The sala (restaurant) is set overlooking the vineyard and all the tables have a good view. The food and wine were very good and we were also given a goody bag when we left.

We loved walking out from the apartment onto the beach. When the tide is out you can walk for miles. Unfortunately there were some days when we could not do so due the the high tide. We also took the bus down to Khao Takiab beach, spent the day there and walked back to Baan Sansuk along the beach. The water quality is not that great, which is a real shame. Best to have accommodation with a pool and walk on the beach...

The night market is fine to see but if you have been to Bangkok previously you will have seen it all before. IMO the prices and quality are better in Bangkok. The Chatsilla market which is just off the night market has some more original stalls and I noticed some of the stallholders at the Cidacada market.

All in all we really enjoyed Hua Hin. The main purpose of a holiday for us is to relax during the day, have some good food at night and have a couple of day trips, so for us it ticked all the boxes.

Torrevieja, Spain
Level Contributor
249 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hua Hin jbr

Hey Zojo, thank's for the write up on your trip. Really enjoyed reading it. Sorry to hear hubby got ill first day, glad it was a speedy recovery. I find the Chatsilla market a good little place to look around, the first time we went to Hua Hin it was just starting up & there was only a few stalls.

Did you see Elephants at the winery? It's somewhere i've thought about going to on our next trip. Like you the main reason for most parts of our holiday is to relax, enjoy the change of culture, the delicious food & meeting local people. I actually love the beach, sitting at Khao Takiab end looking up at the golden buhda, walking along into town & the beach bars & vendors. Agree it's so easy & cheap to get around. Your review is really interesting & a welcome read. Thank you.

Carol

Janesville...
Level Contributor
377 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hua Hin jbr

Thankyou so much for writing a JBR - I am thinking of going to Thailand again and Hua Hin is a stop I am considering............

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hua Hin jbr

Glad you enjoyed. As we always say the beach isn't so great but it is truly lovely to walk along when not too hot and it has a very calm relaxed 'vibe' as against places with rows and rows of loungers. Overall a very relaxed, hassle and stress free place.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
442 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hua Hin jbr

Hi,

We too stayed at Baan Sansuk! Loved it. Did you try the coffee house across the road run by a mother and her son Peter? We had the same thoughts when we got there about the distance but 10baht on the green bus...excellent.

Can't wait to go back there.

Sandra

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hua Hin jbr

Thanks for the report!

I guess not enough about Hua Hin!

Definately on my to do list!

Thanks for the ideas and sorry your poor hubby got sick on the first day!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hua Hin jbr

Yes Samantha not much on Tripadvisor forum but Hua Hin attracts I suppose something like 1.5 / 1.8 M + visitors a year and is highly popular within Thailand as a top spot. It is a world away from Pattaya / Phuket etc.

One of the main reasons is that it caters for so many Thai visitors that is 'has to' maintain a style and atmosphere that appeals to local visitors, the result is that it remains very much a 'Thai' destination. An example a songhaew ride only costs B 10 !

Hua Hin warmly welcomes overseas visitors and indeed has a lot of overseas people with holiday homes in the area, but does't change it's style because of that, I guess that is the secret to success :)

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,694 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hua Hin jbr

Thanks so much for the great JBR. I have been to Thailand many times, visiting Chaing Mai, Chaing Rai, Mae Hong Sorn and then Koh Samui on a number of occasions.

Our next trip we were thinking of something different and Hua Hin seems to be ticking all our boxes. JBR's are fantastic for people like me who are thinking of visiting so that we can get info from people who have just travelled.

Thanks again :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
442 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hua Hin jbr

Having first been to Hua Hin back in 1996 and then again last year I can attest to what Monica has said about not changing its style. The only difference we found was a few more resorts and apartment buildings and the Market Village. Everything else was the same. Being able to walk down the street without being hassled for massages or suits makes a great change. We loved HH in ,96 and love it even more now. Even our kids said it was so much better than Phuket.

May it always stay the same.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hua Hin jbr

Thanks for sharing, I have always been put off visiting Hua hin because of the beach but I'm thinking we might split our time between there and the south.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
188 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hua Hin jbr

hi ZoJo,what a wonderful JBR for hua hin..I am planning a trip to Thailand with my 2 girls in March end.this would be our 5th trip and we have so far been to koh samui, puket, cheng mai and bkk.I was going thro all the revies and wondering about my next best option.I read a great deal about koh lanta,kohchang,phangan,and krabi but since we have only 9 days i dint feel like trapsing all over the place with teenage girls who have only shopping, food, and lazing on mind...i think HH will be my best bet ..what a find! now the question is if my girls want a little lively place to stay in, where should we be parked for say 5-6 nights in HH?i am not sure if a condo stay will excite them as much as a reasonably priced 3 * resort near a beach, closer to shops and cafes, and lively area..its also their 19th birhtday so we will also party late for that night..but otherwise we will be happier having days filled with massages, shopping, lazing or eating out good thai food in pretty setting..

please suggest places to stay and all you lovely folks any and every input is most wellcomed to make this trip a rocking happy memorable event for my girls ...

thanks to you all...