We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a nice,classy bar frequented by expats

Which Hua Hin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
71 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a nice,classy bar frequented by expats

Hi,

I'm looking for a nice, non sleazy bar to go to to relax, have a few glasses of Sav Blanc, have some mouth-watering snacks and meet and chat with some expats. Thanks in advance.

cli
Hua Hin, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a nice,classy bar frequented by expats

As an expat myself, you'll find the sort of places your looking for all around town although many are off the tourist trail, even around Bintabat area there are many non-seedy cafe's and bars where you'll meet the likes of us. Wander up some of the Sois (roads) running away from the main Petchakasem Road between perhaps 102 right up to the Clock Tower area and you may or may not bump into any expat that might be in there putting the world to rights with others.

Best of luck and enjoy.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
71 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a nice,classy bar frequented by expats

Hi Cli,

Thanks for that info......just exacting what I was looking for. Thanks again.

Adlington, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a nice,classy bar frequented by expats

Mondo vino

bar francais

Cool breeze

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a nice,classy bar frequented by expats

There's a nice cocktail bar named Black Out in Soi Kanjanomai, opposite to Thipurai City Hotel in which Prime Steakhouse (by the same owner) is located. Quite easy to find as they both are located in downtown, website: http://primehuahin.com/

What can I say? New and fresh, reasonably priced drinks, friendly staff, neat and cozy, music volume always adequate (not too loud / too quiet)... In my opinion enough reasons to enjoy a few Mojitos in the said establishment.

Prices 99 THB onwards, I was there approximately year ago, so I don't remember exactly which was the highest price for a drink, but as mentioned, prices were generally reasonable.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
71 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a nice,classy bar frequented by expats

Thanks everyone......I will be back in a months time and will look these places up. I just love Hua Hin. It's an all around winner.....:)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
145 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a nice,classy bar frequented by expats

I tend to avoid expats in Thail;and like the plague. That said you will find plenty of places catering for what you are looking for. Most of the high end hotels have resident boorish expats in their bars drinking G and T's regaling all and sundry with their rather stilted view of Thailand.

cli
Hua Hin, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a nice,classy bar frequented by expats

I'm trying hard not to feel to insulted by PeterWWW last posting, yes there are some that are like that just as there are others in any other country whether locals, expats or tourists but a great many of us are very nice decent honest folk who do whatever we can if allowed to help the local community in which we live, employ locals for everything we can think of, use local shops rather than the chains and remarks like his don't go down very well with many of us.

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
3,013 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a nice,classy bar frequented by expats

We'll said Cli. I've always been grateful for any help or advice you've offered on the forum.

Kind regards

Jim

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
145 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a nice,classy bar frequented by expats

#7 - No offence intended but if the cap fits, wear it. My experience after living all over Thailand, including Hua Hin, for a number of years is that expat types first go through the wonderment stage and then tend to get very bitter and cultivate a superiority complex with a very dim view of Thai's and visitors to Thailand. Just my experience.

As for you employing Thai's, I lift my hat to you sir but it is also true that unless you jump through hoops and invest a barrel load of money to obtain an expat work permit, you have to employ Thai's. I for one have never seen a farang working in a 7/11 or serving coffee at a Starbucks.

Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a nice,classy bar frequented by expats

cli - 740 forum posts; Jim 744 forum posts; Peterwww 67 forum posts. I think this says it all.

Cli and I might have disagreed on favourite Hua Hin restaurants in the past, but his advice and detailed local knowledge have been invaluable to tourists, like ourselves, visiting Hua Hin, either for the first time, or coming back for a second or even third visit. I think to launch an attack on ex pats, in this way is completely unacceptable and certainly not in the spirit of TA.

Although you have posted a considerable number of reviews in your time, you are clearly a very new member to the forum; I suggest you spend a little time observing the appropriate etiquette before posting in future, and then endeavour to post contributions that are useful to those of us who use the forum to seek genuine travel advice.

Mags

Get answers to your questions about Hua Hin