We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opticians ?

Barrow-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
99 posts
340 reviews
Save Topic
Opticians ?

Hi

Hubby and I are visiting in October and hubby is interested in getting new glasses whilst we are there. Does anyone have any recommendations for a reliable optician?

He got some last time we were in Malaysia and now is due an upgrade. Having been so impressed with Asian service in Malaysia, he now wants to get some whilst in Thailand.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. We are in Hua Hin for 10 days.

Thanks

Barbara

cli
Hua Hin, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Opticians ?

We go to Orchid Optical opposite the Hilton on the corner with Bintabat, have had our last 4 pairs done here, no high pressure, a decent eye examination and after ales service as good as any and better than many.

Barrow-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
99 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opticians ?

Thanks Cli

We are in Hua hin for 10 days. Will this be feasible as a turn around time? We are staying at centara is Orchid Optical close?

Have looked at google maps, but still trying to get orientation!! Having not been to Hua Hin before. Though we have been to lots of other Thailand destinations.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Regards

Barbara

cli
Hua Hin, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Opticians ?

Hi Barbara.

Just turn right from the Centara towards the town and its about a 5 minute walk. I would suggest going within the first couple of days of your visit as generally all opticians send their glasses to Bangkok for having the lens fitted and whatever treatments to them and this adds about 5-7 days from making your selection also stress to them that you must have them by a particular date.

Ignore the prices on the frames although its a starting point and haggle really hard and you'll get somewhere between 25-50% off but generally the lens are a fixed price as is whatever you have done to them.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opticians ?

Top Charoen anywhere in Thailand is great.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Opticians ?

Hi Barbara. Cli is the local expert - see number of posts. I would go with her recomendation.Top Chareon are a chain outlet found everywhere ithroughout Thailand. In fact there are currently at least 6 Top Chareon shops in Hua Hin alone. In general there modus operandi appears that you will be swamped with assistants, usually well presented young women, but the professional quality may not be as good as the initial contact. As with all things in Thailand the best advice is buyer beware and take the advice of the locals

Edited: 28 July 2013, 10:44
cli
Hua Hin, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Opticians ?

Thanks Wilson for your support but I am actually a he, go by the name as most Thai's cannot pronounce my name properly.

And totally agree with your comments on Top Charoen, you might hit lucky with some stores but on the whole they pressure you into buying what they want you to have rather than what you want or need.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Opticians ?

Hi Barbara. Cli is the local expert - see number of posts. I would go with her recomendation.Top Chareon are a chain outlet found everywhere ithroughout Thailand. In fact there are currently at least Top Chareon shops in Hua Hin alone. In general there modus operandi appears that you will be swamped with assistants, usually well presented young women, but the professional quality may not be as good as the initial contact. As with all things in Thailand the best advice is buyer beware and take the advice of the local

Edited: 30 July 2013, 15:28
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Opticians ?

Sorry for my duplicate entry. Apologies Cli for my gender error. That said I do respect your contributions. Thank you and keep on keeping us informed

9. Re: Opticians ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Hua Hin