We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which is a better place to holiday - Hua Hin or Phuket?

sydney
Level Contributor
312 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
which is a better place to holiday - Hua Hin or Phuket?

We want to holiday in Thailand in January next year and are with our 2 teenagers 15 &17. We wondered which was better for teenagers to enjoy, Phuket or Hua Hin? They love the usual - markets, buzz night life, snorkelling, sea trips and kayaks day trips, bargaining and the food food food!!

Is Hua Hin a little less touristy, quiet and sleepy or is Phuket just toooo touristy!

Recommended accommodation with 2 bedroom apartment in walking distance to beach would be great!thanks!!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: which is a better place to holiday - Hua Hin or Phuket?

That is a very good question. It all depends on what you want from a holiday. If you have never ever been to Phuket, then it is a place to go sometime in your lifetime. Remember it is a reasonably sized island so it can cater for many tastes. There is Patong that is quite sleazy or several other towns/resorts that are more laid back. In my view the beaches are better in Phuket, but the time of year it can get very busy and crowded.

Having been to Patong Beach and Kata Beach on Phuket and this year for 2 months in Hua Hin I personally like Hua Hin because of the laid back atmosphere (more Thai people) and you can travel to other towns and cities directly by taxi/bus/hire car. The beach at Hua Hin is nowhere as good as some on Phuket.

Edited: 20 July 2013, 14:16
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which is a better place to holiday - Hua Hin or Phuket?

From what you've said I think Phuket is what you're looking for and it doesn't have to be too touristy as it depends on where you stay

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,706 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which is a better place to holiday - Hua Hin or Phuket?

I think your teenagers will enjoy Phuket more.

Sweden
Level Contributor
12 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which is a better place to holiday - Hua Hin or Phuket?

Hua hin was our premier visit to Thailand and we have been several times since, including Phuket 4 times.

The thing is there are far more things to do in Hua Hin, fantastic places to eat at really good prices. The night market you can go to most evenings ,do your shopping there and try some street food. In fact there are lots of shops in Hua hin. The beach is not its best asset as the water isnt clear, but great for long walks. Phuket has the beaches although depending When you go you cant always swim, because of high waves or strong currents. We have been to Kata,Kata noi and Nai yang, Nai yang has a great beach but not much in the way of shopping. Everything on Phuket is more expensive than the mainland.

sydney
Level Contributor
312 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which is a better place to holiday - Hua Hin or Phuket?

Thanks so much S/A. I am having conflicting reports... I want to be able to take ferries and do day trips...

Thought i might ask if any of the James Bond backdrops are also part of a Hua Hin day trip?

maybe someone out there might be able to also comment?

thanks again...

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which is a better place to holiday - Hua Hin or Phuket?

I haven't been to any of the islands so I cannot comment on them but my wife and I were in Hua Hin in March and enjoyed it very much. There are plenty of trips you can book if you fancy them. This will give you an idea of what's available although I cannot vouch for the tour company. www.huahinadventuretour.com/package.php

We spent eleven days there but we only took one organised trip, which was to the Hua Hin vineyard. They provide low cost transport out to the vineyard from the Market Village. This is just one of a few local days out. Monkey mountain is also interesting. Your kids would like that and it's just a ten/fifteen minute bus ride from the centre.

Regarding beaches, we stayed at a small guest house just south of the centre. This is the nicest part of the beach and despite some comments about the standard of the beach we were pleasantly surprised. There were sunbeds, plenty of room for sunbathing and a great beach bar where the food was wonderful. The swimming was also good but it is no good for snorkelling.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which is a better place to holiday - Hua Hin or Phuket?

I think Phuket may well suit your needs best with teenagers in tow but personally for me it would be Hua Hin every time

8. Re: which is a better place to holiday - Hua Hin or Phuket?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Hua Hin