We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Ride from Bangkok to Hua HIn

Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Train Ride from Bangkok to Hua HIn

Hi!

Just wanted some feedback about the trains in Thailand. We planning a trip with our 4 yr old in June - planning on going from Bangkok to Hua Hin. Even though most people recommend a car we wanted her to experience a train ride.

1. is it safe?

2 . Is it clean?

3. Is it comfortable?

Any personal experiences/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Hua Hin
Hua Hin
Prachuap Khiri Khan Province, Thailand
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
781 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Ride from Bangkok to Hua HIn

Take the 0805 DRC its the quickest of the trains ,its aircon and is clean and comfortable but if you want to be able to lean out the windows etc, it would be best to take the ordinary trains

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
7,062 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Ride from Bangkok to Hua HIn

took that once, not the morning AC one, and would suggest that one, sure to be faster and bit more comfy. afternoon wood seats open air wasn't too bad, an experience. shy of 4 hrs. world cup was on in the dining car for a snack and couple cold ones. worth doing at least once. good way to see mix of urban then nice countryside once out of metro area.

Lowestoft, Suffolk
Level Contributor
33 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Ride from Bangkok to Hua HIn

We did the train trip a week ago with our 14yr old son. It was an experience but nothing special. We booked tickets a week before travelling to ensure seats together, tickets cost 405 baht each (£10). We took the 8.05 which has AC and also included a meal which consisted of microwaveable rice, spicy chicken and fish. The train left on time and arrived in hua hin just after 12.30, ,which was an hour later than expected. plenty of taxis on arrival to take you where you need to go. The journey itself was pretty boring, couldn't see much out the windows as most curtains were drawn. We were unable to book tickets for the return journey as all trains were fully booked so ended up getting a taxi back to Bangkok, costing 2000 baht (£40). Taxi was so much easier and completely stress free. I wouldnt take the train again to be honest

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Worcester UK
Level Contributor
759 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Ride from Bangkok to Hua HIn

Although a lot of people do like the train, I wouldn't do it again, Perhaps we didn't take the best one, but it took around 5 hours, made many, many stops, and wasn't particularly comfortable - nor was there an awful lot to see. I suppose it's good to try different things, but we have since always taken taxis.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,144 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Ride from Bangkok to Hua HIn

We like the train, my children love the train but in answer to your questions:

1. is it safe? Yes

2 . Is it clean? I'd take hand sanitiser for your daughter and the toilets can be interesting.

3. Is it comfortable? Yes

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
7,062 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Ride from Bangkok to Hua HIn

3. comfy

Depends what class...3rd / last......basically a wood bench, though can get up and move around, hang out between carriages, sit in dining car w/bevy.

can't comment on any other seating, as only did once, and not sure I would do again, the wood bench thing.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,144 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Ride from Bangkok to Hua HIn

Definitely not the wooden bench thing! The chairs that are normally converted to sleepers are comfortable if they do indeed use these for the Hua Hin journey.

Mentioned in this post
Hua Hin
Hua Hin
Prachuap Khiri Khan Province, Thailand
8. Re: Train Ride from Bangkok to Hua HIn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Hua Hin