We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kohn Kaen to Phnom penh Cambodia

Which Khon Kaen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Redding, California
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kohn Kaen to Phnom penh Cambodia

Hi-

we are are group of between 15-20 people including 3 kids under 3 and we are trying to find a bus to take us from kohn kaen to Phnom Penh Cambodia without having to go to Bangkok.

Does anyone know if there are any buses that go that route or if we could hire a van / bus to take us overnight there? also costs involved.

Thank you so much for your help!

3 replies to this topic
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kohn Kaen to Phnom penh Cambodia

Sure can help,

Can you drop me a private message,

Many thanks,

Sheila

hiddencambodia@yahoo.com

Level Contributor
74 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kohn Kaen to Phnom penh Cambodia

All buses will go via Bangkok there is no way around it. It's a very long way and I wouldn't recommend it with children. Best flying as it's not that expensive anymore compared to the bus.

Goodluck

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,534 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kohn Kaen to Phnom penh Cambodia

There is a road connection from Khon Kaen and Phnom Penh via the Chong Chom/O'Smach border posts but it still takes at least 12 hours if you could just use a single vehicle and drive through the border without stopping for immigration.

I guess you can do it with public buses from Khon Kaen to Surin, then from Surin to border, and then Cambodian buses from O'Smach. No idea how time-consuming the connections might be.

The border closes at 8pm so you might arrive in Phnom Penh 3-4am, but driving on Cambodian roads is not very safe in the dark. What are you going to do in Phnom Penh at 4am?

If you want a smooth trip you need to contact some travel agency to make arrangements. The trip may still require change of vehicle at the border.

Reply to: Kohn Kaen to Phnom penh Cambodia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Khon Kaen
Recent Conversations