We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krabi Town & Ao Nang

Which Krabi Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Krabi Town & Ao Nang

Hi,

Can someone advise if its worth to visit Krabi Town since I will be staying at Ao Nang.

1. What to be expected over there? Shopping? Night Market?

2. Any idea if Hotel provide transport or need to hire tuk tuk or cab?

3. Is it recommendable to travel there in the day or night?

4. Is half day or full day?

5. If by Cab how long is the journey and how much to pay roughly?

6. Any bikes to rent? is it safe.

Hope to hear from you guys soon. Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Krabi Town & Ao Nang

Hi,

I jus came back from Krabi last nite.

there's nothing munch @ Krabi Town, unless u are there to hunt for some f&b outlets like Bai Thoey (local Thai food nearby chaofa river), Kwan Cafe (nearby Chaofa River), etc.

Chaofa river is where pple take pte hire boat rides to phiphi & other islands as well, but i think the aonang rates are much more competitive.

I find Krabi town's tee shirts & slippers are pretty old fashion as compared to Ao nang area.

The 1 & only shopping mall @ krabi called VOGUE.

Vogue is just like a small mall with electronic items, apparels, pharmacy (Boots), local supermarket, fastfood restaurants (KFC, Swensen, Pizza Company, Dunkin Donuts)

There's a local wet market near by City Hotel (no-frills local traveller's hotel). In there, they sell fruits mostly.

From Aonang to Krabi town, hail a local cab "Song Theaw", 40Baht per pax. It will take ya to krabi town 7-eleven. Journey is about 30-35mins. Tuktuk are very expensive (abt 400baht 1-way) to travel with unless u've a pack of 4-6 frens with ya to book the whole tuktuk for your group to get between places.

you can ask your hotel or aonang roadside shops for bikes rental. bikes ranges from 150-250Baht for an auto scooter, honda/yamaha available with range of cc engine, larger cc honda rides are available too. Safe or not, i'm not too sure. Recommended to ride only within aonang area, as i heard.

Hope this info helps.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krabi Town & Ao Nang

Hi Rolla. I see that you are from Singapore. In my opinion, Krabi town looks a lot lioke towns that size around SE Asia (such as Kuching). The river area is OK but small and the night time food stalls are just OK (especially by Singapore standards). Unless you have run out of things to do (unlikely), it may not be worth much time.

Maybe others have other insights, as some people prefer to stay in town rather than the beaches.

BTW, if you go you can take the public songthaewa. It is relatively quick and you can talk with the locals and experience things a bit more - better than a taxi.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Krabi Town & Ao Nang

HIHI,

I am more of a beach person. Just worried that by night, I might be clueless of where to go after dinner. Hmm.... Understand Ao Nang has a few night markets to hop ard. Well, i guess i will hire songthaewa and see what we can do at night. Definetly a no no for sleazy place. Bars will be good for a booze. Other than that, hopefully there is life band ard for a mingle ..

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Krabi Town & Ao Nang

I think that Ao Nang is relatively sedate at night - and at least 3 years ago there was not much of a sleeze factor there. There are some bars/pubs, but I would not expect a lot of live bands (unless things have changed, or we missed them).

The truth is that area is so great in terms of its nature stuff - more likely than not you'll be jumping on boats all day, maybe walking around some beaches and islands, swimming and snorkeling, kayaking, etc. Very few people seem to just lay on the beach all day (thank God). So, you may not want a long night - get up early and enjoy all there is to offer. :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Krabi Town & Ao Nang

hi rollawaver.

most of us pple go for massages, foot scrubs, manicure/pedicure at night. to chill out from the tiring day tours. :)

alternatively, behind the shopfront of aonang or slip roads, u can find some pubs. try check out aonang area in the day if u can. probably see more things then @ night.

there are many massage shops. The one i went is good n clean, its called Sunset Massage, next to Na Na Restaurant. Lady boss is very nice & flexible, u can swap the massage options, for eg. foot + head massage, i opt to do foot+shoulder instead for the same price.

hope this info helps u.

6. Re: Krabi Town & Ao Nang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 17:19