We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krabi to Koh Samui by road/ferry

Which Krabi Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bunbury, Western...
Level Contributor
226 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Krabi to Koh Samui by road/ferry

I'm travelling from Krabi to Koh Samui in June and Bangkok Airways don't fly that time of year.

I can fly from Phuket to Samui but means I have to back track and the new flight times mean I have to overnight in Phuket.

So....I was thinking of hiring a driver with car to Surat Thani then ferry to Samui.

From what I've read the road trip should take about 3 hours (good chance to see scenery) then the ferry about 2 hours.

- would THB 3000 be about right for car/driver?

- does the ferry always travel that time of year (June) or does it depend on weather?

- Do I have to pre-book ferry or can I get a ticket at ferry terminal?

Thanks

Garry

Aonang, Krabi
Destination Expert
for Krabi Town
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Krabi to Koh Samui by road/ferry

yes - 3000 is bang on. i drove it just last week - takes about 2 hours to Donsak. Ferries run every hour (2 companies) and the sailing takes an hour and a half. no need to book in advance.

Bunbury, Western...
Level Contributor
226 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krabi to Koh Samui by road/ferry

Thanks lost farang

Is travelling by ferry in June a problem due to weather....do the ferries always travel? Don't really want to be stranded in Donsak.

Is the road trip a good one?

Cheers

Garry

Aonang, Krabi
Destination Expert
for Krabi Town
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Krabi to Koh Samui by road/ferry

Hi Garry, the ferries always run - they are huge and can easily handle rough seas. The journey is not anything to write home about - there is a highway which takes you straight across the country through rubber/palm plantations.

LF

Auberry, California
Level Contributor
156 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Krabi to Koh Samui by road/ferry

We will be traveling from Koh Tao to Krabi in Oct. We plan to take the 1st ferry fro Koh Tao to Chumphon in the morning but not sure how to get to Krabi from there. Could someone please tell us our options and about how much it would cost. Thank-x

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,749 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Krabi to Koh Samui by road/ferry

There's no real need to spend 3000 baht. In Krabi, at any travel agency, you can buy bus-boat tickets to Samui for 350-450 baht. The trip takes 5-6 hours total, and leaves Krabi at 09:00, 11:00 and 16:00.

Comfortable public buses leave Krabi bus terminal about every 45 minutes from 05:30 to 15:00 for Surat Thani, at a cost of 135 baht. The trip takes 3 hours. Vans and songthaews meet the buses in Surat Thani to take you to one of the ferries.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,749 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Krabi to Koh Samui by road/ferry

From Koh Tao to Krabi- I don't think there's a direct bus from Chumphon to Krabi. You'd have to go first to Surat Thani, then there are buses to Krabi every 45 minutes. Total cost, maybe 250-300 baht.

Aonang, Krabi
Destination Expert
for Krabi Town
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Krabi to Koh Samui by road/ferry

yes, the bus is an option, but when you are on holiday, who wants to spend double the time messing around with changing buses etc when you can go straight there. 3000 baht is not alot when you compare it to what you would spend in your own country.

Auberry, California
Level Contributor
156 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Krabi to Koh Samui by road/ferry

Would it be possible to get a private transfer from Chumhon to Krabi? If so how do I go about getting one, and about how would it cost?

Bunbury, Western...
Level Contributor
226 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Krabi to Koh Samui by road/ferry

I agree 'lost farang' about getting a car rather than bus, especially for 2 people. I would also have to get transport from hotel to Krabi town.

It also gives me an extra 2 hours sitting by the pool sipping on cocktails or a nice cold beer.... Can't wait until June.

Garry

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,749 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Krabi to Koh Samui by road/ferry

Paying an arm and a leg for a private car will not win you any time. The time for the bus-ferry combo I mentioned INCLUDES the ferry trip. The overland trip is going to take 3 hours no matter how you do it. Any faster, and you're just going to be spending more time in Surat Thani waiting for the ferry.