We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking rooms direct with hotels and using credit card

Which Krabi Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Booking rooms direct with hotels and using credit card

I want to make a room booking directly with a hotel. They want a deposit paid on booking. They need my credit card details and I am not willing to email my details other than calling the hotel and speaking to them are there any other options.

Bettembourg...
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking rooms direct with hotels and using credit card

Fax

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,518 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking rooms direct with hotels and using credit card

Hi,

True, fax is the other option.. But truth be told, I'd pony up the cost and call.. I'd be a bit hesitant about a fax as many companies require you to fax over a copy of the card- front and back- or they ask you to fax over the card number which has all the information one needs to make unauthorized charges..

Remember that most cards now have a special 4 digit number code or "CVV" stamped on the back side of the card and it's not present on the front side of the card or a part of the card number.. When you fax this over (either in print or a photocopy), now there's a piece of paper floating around with your credit card details on it- and you'll have to rely on the hotel to properly secure it or dispose of it in a secured manner.

While no one way is totally 100% secure, I'd think that it's a lower overall risk by calling the hotel direct and telling one person, one time, than risk having a copy of my card and details floating around.

My opinion.

Travel Safe,

Hua Hin, Thailand
Level Contributor
166 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking rooms direct with hotels and using credit card

you could send 2 separate emails, each with half the number

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking rooms direct with hotels and using credit card

Does the hotel not have an online booking form? Or can that hotel be booked at a cheaper rate through one of the online booking services?

Blackpool,England
Level Contributor
200 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking rooms direct with hotels and using credit card

Hi

I had this problem trying to book a hotel or 2.

When I rang they could not understand me on a few occasions.

Didnt want to fax as wasnt sure who or where the paper would end up

In the end I think I sent the details via email as i thought what the hell then rang my bank and advised not to let any more payments out of my bank after this until further notice to thailand.

So far no problems

Didnt feel very safe sending via email but I was stressed with how do it x

I think booking with Sawadee.com is chaeper and easier if your hotel is on this site and this is more secure, than booking direct, i found this website really easy x

Krabi Town, Thailand
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking rooms direct with hotels and using credit card

You may fax, call them or let them call back to you for credit card information. Alternatively, you can make a deposit by bank transfer. It will be definitely safe for you. You should ask them regarding transfer fee who is responsible for that cost.

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Krabi Town, Cape Panwa, Rawai
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking rooms direct with hotels and using credit card

Hi,

I have always sent by fax and never had a problem.

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking rooms direct with hotels and using credit card

Thanks for the advice guys. I have sent the hotel an Email advising I will call them tomorrow to pay the deposit. I like to deal with hotels directly where possible. It was actually cheaper booking direct than on one of the discount booking sites. I have tried to pay by direct transfer in the past but the bank charges are ridiculous

sydney,australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking rooms direct with hotels and using credit card

The hotel wanted me to send them copy of my card ,both sides and email them,,,i was not too comfortable with that as any one can my card anywhere if they know the cvc code...so I called them and made the booking online...

and yes i agree its really cheap to book directly through hotel than other websites,,,on top of that you can also tell them the room which suit u most...i mean the top floor or the ground floor ,,,,,

but i also noticed it depends on hotel to hotel as well...some are better to deal directly ...specially then 4 or 5 star ones and other can be booked from websites....

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking rooms direct with hotels and using credit card

Well I called the hotel today, The Phu Petra Resort, and spoke to a very helpful man who confirmed my booking who took my credit card details, it was very easy.

I like to deal direct with hotels if possible, I think if you have had some form of personal contact with the hotel prior to arriving it makes things smoother. Arriving in a hotel reception with a printout from expedia or booking .com just isn't the same. The hotels must benefit as well as they do not have to pay commission to the booking company.

I can't wait for January to come round