We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

centara grand Krabi/Ao nang

Which Krabi Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stamford, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
186 reviews
Save Topic
centara grand Krabi/Ao nang

does anyone know if wi-fi is available free in public areas of this hotel?

Failing that, does anyone know what charges are applied either in room or in public areas?

Also are there any bars or the like in Ao nang that have free wi-fi access. Don't plan on going all that way to surf the net, just want to check emails every other day or so.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Southampton, England
Level Contributor
24 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: centara grand Krabi/Ao nang

Hi

im going to the centara in feb! when are you going?

i have read a recent review which says that internet access is pricey! unfortunately. but i dont know the exact price.

i hope you have a nice time!

Stamford, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: centara grand Krabi/Ao nang

Thanks for your reply Lucy.

We are going late Jan to early Feb. I actually emailed the hotel and they have replied. Greetings from Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi!

Quite impressed with the speed of reply given that some people on here say that they have had problems with that. Either way, this is what they have said;

Greetings from Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi!

Thank you very much for your e-mail. Pleased be inform you that in all our room have high speed internet access and we charge as following;

220 nett / 1 hour

330 nett / 3 hours

550 nett / day

1,100 nett / 3 days

1,650 nett / 7 days

I am assuming that "nett" means Baht. Sounds a bit expensive, but given what others have said about the pricing structure there I suppose that's about right. £30 for a week is a bit steep given that we don't pay half that for a month in the UK.

Mind you, the hotel we are staying at at Heathrow the night before has quoted us a fiver an hour!

For the long flight (re your other posts), have you considered taking a laptop if you have one for film viewing?

Hope you have a great time on your honeymoon!

I wonder if anyone can enlighten us on wi-fi in Ao nang itself?

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: centara grand Krabi/Ao nang

Hi

I believe I will be in Krabi at the same time as you!

Thanks for the wi-fi details - I will be sure to take advantage of the hotel's facilities!

Have a great time.

Southampton, England
Level Contributor
24 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: centara grand Krabi/Ao nang

HI

thanks for that!

no i havent thought about watching dvd's on my laptop but i will now! thanks. silly question - but are there places to plug in and charge your laptop on a plane?

it is such a long flight! im going with thai air, which has no real entertainment. which is a little annoying!

have a great time!

Stamford, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: centara grand Krabi/Ao nang

Don't know about no entertainment, there must be something. Having never flown Thai air before I don't know for sure but most far east airlines are usually pretty good.

No power points on aircraft Lucy so a decent battery life is a must, maybe even an investment in a spare battery, I know it seems an expense but better than hour after hour of unremitting boredom.

Nice to see some better reviews for the centara coming through now! What dates are you going to be there? If we get back before you go then will drop a line on here for your attention.

Still no reports on free wi-fi in Ao Nang as yet, come on forum readers let us know!

Aonang, Krabi
Destination Expert
for Krabi Town
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: centara grand Krabi/Ao nang

Those prices are outrageous!!!! I don't know how they can have the front to charge such high rates, considering that a basic broadband package costs 599 Baht per month.

Why not buy a local sim card and connect through your phone? I do that when travelling and it works out at less than 1 baht per minute.

Failing that, Mc D's and Starbucks and Black Canyon Coffee all have free WiFi

Stamford, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: centara grand Krabi/Ao nang

Thanks for that Lost, it seemed expensive to me too, but I suppose that is what you get for being a "captive" audience.

I suppose they assume that not many people will fancy carrying their laptops over the infamous "monkey trail". (ha ha, didn't bargain with the invention of the notebook pc did they!)

Thanks for your listing of those places that do free wi-fi, that will come in very handy checking the emails over a nice espresso!

Southampton, England
Level Contributor
24 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: centara grand Krabi/Ao nang

Hi!

yea it is good that there is better reviews on the centara coming through! it is making me a bit more relaxed!

i am going between the 21st February to 3rd March and then i have three days in Bangkok at the bel-aire princess.

Yea drop me a line on here when you get back! thanks alot. I hope you have a great time.

My partner has an iphone, so i suppose we can use that to get email access in and around ao nang?

as for transport on the flight... i think i may need another battery for back up as i dont want to be bored. There is entertainement screens along the isles of the plane only. I have heard it is not very good! so movies on the lap top may be the only option to make the 11.20 hour flight go faster!

thanks for all your help.

Lucy xx

ps if any one reading this is going to the centara at the same time as me let me know!! hehe

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: centara grand Krabi/Ao nang

I used Dtac's mobile broadband card in Phuket and the service was great and no dropouts.You can buy an internet sim card from 7-11 for 999B for unlimited data per month or smaller packs to cover a week or 2.Phuket has 107 base stations,so it has good coverage.Krabi has 76 base stations,so maybe Lost Farang can tell you about the coverage in Ao Nang.The speed is around 250 KBPS,which is 5 times faster than dial up and it was fast enough for me.

www.dtac.co.th/eng/network/gprs_edge.html

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: centara grand Krabi/Ao nang

Here's a better link:

happy.co.th/en/low/17_service_mobile_interne…