We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can You Help Me Find a Hotel in Paridise?

NW England
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Can You Help Me Find a Hotel in Paridise?

I am looking to travel to Thailand again in Jan/Feb 06. The info I have researched from the web and various agents has left my wife and we are uncertain where we should choose to go - can anyone give any feedback on possible places that satify our aspirations detailed below?

Have a budget of about £60 ($100) per night.

Looking for a luxury low level hotel on the beach with beautiful large tropical gardens. Ideally in a bungalow on the beach. Ideally on a west facing beach.

The hotel, the beach and the grounds must be clean and well kept. Also the hotel must not be "tired," "well worn" or "past its best"

The beach is important and must be clean fine sand with a back drop of tropical gardens/forest, preferably with no hawkers. Also it is important the beach does not dry out and leave a rocky reef at low water. I am keen on snorkelling and would love to have a quality reef to swim around within walking and swimming distance from the hotel. Basically we arelooking for the typical picture shown in most brochures, but rarely do you actually find the hotel lives up to your expectations.

We would like the hotel to be quiet and secluded, but within walking distance along the beach to one or more good local beach restaurants and beach bars. Also the area needs to be free from noise from jet skis and power boats and the like, although I would love to have access to kyaks or saling boats.

We would also like reasonable access to activities such as elephant trekking, virgin rain forest, waterfalls, rafting (either still water or white water), but we have seen most of the temples we want to see.

My wife and I are both 50 and fit and active.

We are looking for total relaxation in paradise with the ability to take odd days out for something active.

Is there such a place? I would be grateful for any advice (written, photos or links to web sites).

Thank you.

Andy

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
125 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can You Help Me Find a Hotel in Paridise?

Heaven maybe??? Was going to suggest the Rayavadee in Railay but you do get hawkers there. May be Phi Phi Island Village resort??? Look at the islands off Trang...they are more unspoilt than many places in Thailand. But to be honest I can't think of anywhere that would match a list of requirements like that.

NW England
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Can You Help Me Find a Hotel in Paridise?

Thanks for the reply. Since my posting I have been working through many of the the other reports.

The Rayavadee is clearly an excellent hotel, but out of my budget.

West Railay looks very promising and I will need to check out the hotels, but how big is this island. I read one report saying it was only a few hundred metres long?

I know my aspirations are high, but I have been to quite a few places in asia and have past by many idylic places, but when I get to book my holiday I cannot track them down. Also, I know there have got to be so many more beautiful places than I have visited.

I am keen to spend my money in the local economy (rather than large hotel chains) but I do feel selfish when I am looking for luxury as well.

The Thai people are so lovely, I would not want to spoil my memories by staying in the wrong place.

Where ever we finally get to, I will post a report. I have found this site excellent and would like to play my part in helping others in their choice.

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
125 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can You Help Me Find a Hotel in Paridise?

Well then go to Phi Phi Island Village....lovely spot away from the damaged areas but you can still spend your money in the areas that need it. I love Railay but it is small...railay bay resort and spa is fine if you book a room in the newer block rather than the bungalows. I would not describe it as luxury but nice....a lovely laid back place with two super beaches and limestone scenery. Look at Koh Ngai off Trang....that is nice too.....maybe not luxury but so nice. I love that place. My email is gbjoce1@hotmail.com If you send me yours I will send you some photos.

J

NW England
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Can You Help Me Find a Hotel in Paridise?

The Central Krabi Beach Resort seems to be just what my wife and I are looking for.

Does anyone have any photos of the hotel and the surrounding areas and any feed back? I am keen to book my holiday arriving mid Jan, within the next day or two.

Also does anyone know where I could get any good introductory offers, as currently the hotel price is outside my budget? I know generally you only get what you pay for, but if I can find someone with any special offers, we may just be able to go for it.

Level Contributor
2,319 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can You Help Me Find a Hotel in Paridise?

I would suggest the Tubkaak Hotel would suit you down to the ground, it has everything you are asking for but it would cost about £150.00 per night in high season, obviously cheaper other times of the year.

From our experiences in Thailand and Malaysia I don't think you will get what you are looking for for the budget you are suggesting.

NW England
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Can You Help Me Find a Hotel in Paridise?

Noodlesetc,

Thanks for your post.

I am putting a great deal of time and effort searching the net for what I am looking for. I agree I am being abitious and may not get what I am looking for to fall within my budget, but it will have to be close and it will not be for the lack of effort.

I will post the result of my efforts on this site. I only hope the end result will be good news!

I appreciate the responses I have received so far any further info before Tuesday would be helpful.

Andy

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
427 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can You Help Me Find a Hotel in Paridise?

Kingfisher99:

Have u looked at here, offering stay 4 pay 3 promotions, yet it's still a bit out of the budget:

hotels2thailand.com/krabi-hotels/central-kra…

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can You Help Me Find a Hotel in Paridise?

Hi Kingfisher,

Planning is half the fun,so they say!

Have a look at www.sawadee.com

They offer a very good service and i find that i save around 30-40% in accomodation costs by booking directly with them as opposed to using a travel agent.

I have booked through them with my credit card at least 30 odd times and never had a problem.They quite often have stay 4,pay 3 deals and they always include Buffet Beakfast.

When you find the resort you are interested in click on the reviews section and you will usually see at least 10 reviews of the resort and also how people found using the booking service.

The place we always stay is Somkiet Buri,which is in Ao Nang,Krabi.It is a Thai influenced property and is just a few minutes walk to the beach.The staff are great and they have lovely manicured grounds.

The bottom line is i doubt you will get what you describe above for $100 per night in High Season.

Chok Dee (good luck)

NW England
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Can You Help Me Find a Hotel in Paridise?

Guys,

Thank you all for your help.

I am halfway to paradise now I have made my booking. I have booked to stay at the Central Krabi Bay Resort.

After spending day after day searching the internet and teletext pages, the best price I finally negotiated was from a local independant travel agent - and what a deal I feel I have got (although it is outside my original budget) I feel I have got a top rate hotel for a mid range hotel price.

I have booked a package with the same agent covering all flights, transfers, fuel surcharges etc and free night offers. Based on the very cheapest flight prices I could have booked via the internet, the room rate I have got the hotel works out at just

4, 500 bht (£64)a night (or 6, 400bht if you take account of the free nights offers I got (which were not being offered by all agents.

I have saved myself about £400 on the best prices I could get via the internet (including Sawadee).

THe girl who secured my booking was comfortable with me trying to get the best price anywhere I could, but just kept reassuring me that she would not be beaten. Also she was most helpful in trying to help me locate the potentially suitable hotels and never once was it any trouble. I have to say I have never come across any agent who has worked so hard on my behalf. I would recommend her most highly to anyone looking to try and match their aspiorations to the right destination and at the lowest price possible.

For anyone interested, my booking was made via Carla - manager of Travelcare, Lytham St Annes tel 01253 730313

I will put a posting on here when I return on how things went - I just can't wait for mid January.

Andy,

p.s Nice boat John07 - I just missed out getting a job in Adelaide a few months ago. I was looking forward to the chance of making a new life in Aus with my wife, but it wasn't to be. Maybe I would have been sailing around in something similar to the boat in you picture had I made it out.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can You Help Me Find a Hotel in Paridise?

Glad to hear all your plans have come to fruition,now you can relax and look forward to January.

Yes,we are very happy with the cruiser and we cruise the Whitsundays in the Great Barrier Reef for 6 weeks each year around June/July,it's amazing.

Get answers to your questions about Krabi Town