We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krabi town

Gold coast
Level Contributor
38 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Krabi town

Staying at the Sheraton soon, can anyone tell me is krabi town worth a trip in or stick with Ao nang? Money exchange nearest to Sheraton without using hotel does anyone know? Anyother info would be grateful

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,023 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Krabi town

We enjoyed our trip into Krabi Town, much less touristy and you get to see more of the Thai way of life. We went the day there was a big market and some sort of fair, so we really enjoyed it plus did a bit of shopping at the small shopping centre in town and bought donuts. Sure there are plenty of other things worth doing in town and it was nice to get away from touristy Ao Nang and the annoying tailors!

London
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krabi town

My partner and I stayed a few days in Krabi town, upon recommendations read in a guide and frankly, we regretted it. There's not much atmosphere, people not very welcoming and good restaurants hard to find. The night market was bland compared to those in Bangkok or Chiang Mai. We stayed at Baan Andaman which was acceptable. We found a street stall behind the shopping complex ran by a lady who served soups: tasty, simple and cheap. The only other place worth eating at was in a row of guest houses on a small back street, which one I cannot remember, it was ran by a woman with tattoos on her arms. The currys were delicious.

All in all if you want fun and a good variety of restaurants and entertainment, save time, just skip the town and go to the islands.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Krabi town

We got a longtail boat from Ao Nang to take us into Krabi Town. I liked the town we walked around for a couple of hours then went back , woke up the longtail boat guy and headed back. He also stopped so we could watch the rock climbing . Most enjoyable boat adventure. CJ

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,023 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Krabi town

I wouldn't necessary suggest staying in Krabi Town, but it's certainly worth a visit, but trying to compare the markets to those in Bangkok or Chiang Mai is ridiculous - it's a small, provincial town for goodness sake.

We found the people very friendly and enjoyed wandering around - you make of it what you can, not everything has to be 'fun' - it really depends what you want from your holiday, some of us what frivolity, constant laid on entertainment and beaches, some of us what a little bit more than that.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Krabi town

Hi

We like to stay in Krabi town for local food:P, We actually travel by car so I enjoy staying in town.There are many places in Krabi and it worth visiting , Sa Kaeo (about 28 kilo from town) , Susan Hoy (Shell Cemetery Beach), Pa Phru Tha Pom Khlong Song Nam, (34 kilo from town).

You don't have to stick with Ao Nang you can catch longtail boat from Ao Nang to Railay (10 - 15 mins), to Pra Nang cave (15 mins), Koh Poda , Koh Kai (about 25 mins). If you would like to go to Phi Phi you can buy day trips this includes snorkeling.

Also If you want to visit Koh Lanta it's easy to take minivan from town to there.

Edited: 04 September 2012, 04:31
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,023 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Krabi town

Tigerline ferries also has ferries from Krabi to Koh Lanta.

Kuala Lumpur...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Krabi town

Any good Thai restaurant infront of Sheraton Krabi ?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
126 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Krabi town

well worth the vist in for a day , to see the real thai life and a must to go through the food markets {mind blowing} one thing that will stay with me for ever ,a lady skining frogs , outside that loved it

cost us 50 baht each in the white ute's to and from

regards len

9. Re: Krabi town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 16:18