We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I will be in MHS on New Year's Eve. Are there celebrations?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
I will be in MHS on New Year's Eve. Are there celebrations?

I have no idea what to expect. Do the locals celebrate New Year's Eve? I'm thinking probably not, but to be in Mae Hong Son on New Year's Eve seems like such a special thing...

Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: I will be in MHS on New Year's Eve. Are there celebrations?

We do celebrate the New Year's Eve here. 63% of the population in the province are members of the hill tribes. You could see their cultural performance on New year's Eve.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I will be in MHS on New Year's Eve. Are there celebrations?

Hi Skeezix, Have you thought about emailing the hotel where you're staying and seeing what they are planning? If it's the resort I'm thinking of, it would be a very pleasant way to spend NYE, sipping (enthusiastically) at a Singha while gazing over the little rice paddy and listening to the frog calls. But the suggestion of hill tribe entertainment also sounds good. There are a few travel agencies around town and maybe they'll have trips to local hill tribes for NYE.

Whatever you do, I imagine you'll have fun!

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I will be in MHS on New Year's Eve. Are there celebrations?

Just make sure their talking about the Western NYE on 31 Dec, not the Chinese NY which is completely different. It starts January 31st (Year of the Horse). I seriously suspect the Hill Tribes will be celebrating the latter. Just a thought my Lady!

Edited: 28 August 2013, 21:24
Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I will be in MHS on New Year's Eve. Are there celebrations?

spopey... Yes I imagine the resort where you have stayed and I will be at might have something on the go. Also, my guide will probably have Thai friends in the town and we may end up with them...? I actually don't expect anything. It will just be so lovely to be in such a beautiful place on New Year's Eve... (and sipping enthusiastically on a Singha would definitely be part of the plan at some point...lol!)

Hi Ravenret... I had a taste of Chinese New Year in early February in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai... lots of fireworks and even in Chiang Khan, there were many Chinese still celebrating their Chinese New Year... It was actually lots of fun to be a part of the noise and celebrations and lots of decorations... red being the predominant color. Very pretty decorations and very LOUD fireworks!

I know the Thai people don't celebrate Xmas as they are mostly Buddhist, and our Dec. 31st New Year's Eve holiday may not be celebrated either. I was thinking maybe my guide and I could take a small boat out onto the lake after dark and see the temples all lit up in Mae Hong Son, with the reflections on the water, and look at the stars and make wishes for the new year and for the world that is so troubled...

Edited: 28 August 2013, 22:57
Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I will be in MHS on New Year's Eve. Are there celebrations?

Skeezix,

That sounds very very nice! A great mental image and thought. Wow. Hmmm, too early in morning for that...need a beer....LOL

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I will be in MHS on New Year's Eve. Are there celebrations?

Drink up! :)

7. Re: I will be in MHS on New Year's Eve. Are there celebrations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2014, 05:18