We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping Maids

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping Maids

Hi

This might be a silly question, but when we want to tip the maids who clean our room, do we just leave the money on a table in our room for them? when I was in Phuket last time we didn't see the maids everyday, as we were out alot, so it would be hard to hand it to them, or do you just give them one big tip at the start for the whole holiday?

Thanks in adavance if anyone can help.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping Maids

Either choice is probably ok. I usually combine the 2 and give a decent tip at first and a small tip each day. While tipping is not as common in Thailand, I always leave something for the maid, and they have always returned the favor. 20 Baht a day is probably adequate, maybe 40-50 on the first day. Most of the time, the same maid will take care of your room each day, in my experience.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping Maids

We always left the money on the pillow. That way they knew it was for them and not just money we had left lying on the bench.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping Maids

Leaving the tip on the pillow is almost a must. I used to leave it on the nightstand, but it was always still there when I got back to the room.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping Maids

Thanks for the help, it's good to know, last time we didn't tip, because we didn't know we were supposed too. But reading these forums it seems alot of people do, for good reasons. So we'll be tippin this time. Thanks again.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,311 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping Maids

Don't over tip them, when you are not looking they are probably laughing at you anyway! (Especially in expensive hotels!)

If you check out during the nighttime the night clerk/porters who check your mini bar and room SOMETIMES steal the money from the maids!

What little money I give the maids (easy for cheap places) I try to give it to them in person along with any food, clothes or junk I don't want that they can sell or keep.

If I am checking out in the middle of the night, and the maid was okay, I pull the corner of the sheet out and put any "tips" in a knot and stuff the sheet back under the mattress!

I try to give the maid something especially if I intend to return to the same hotel again! If you treat the maids badly they will simply use your toothbrush to clean the crap off the toilet and return it to your kit - and then laugh among themselves at you!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping Maids

Wow, really. Sounds like the people doing this kind of thing are in the wrong job! And they should be put out of a job, I'm sure there are plenty of better suited people more then willing to do what they do, without all this resentment, or whatever their problem is.

Thanks for the tip anyway, I'll defiantly be hiding my tooth brush now lol.

colorado
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping Maids

it really depends on you for tipping.

some said dont overtip, some said tip generously. I think if you do really like it. You can just tip in the limit that you feel comfortable.

They wouldn't laugh at you that you're stupid. I think you make them happy. Some of them work very hard and their incomes never cover their expenses. At least, they might have the better meal for their kids..and family. I'm sure you will make them smile. Just like you make donation directly to the persons who are in need.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping Maids

Kylie,

The other people I ALWAYS tipped were the massage ladies. From what I understand alot of these ladies earn very little out of the 200-300 baht you pay... so I would always tip 50-200 baht to them directly after I had paid for the massage (depending how good they were). I figured the massages were so cheap anyway that adding the extra was worth it, and what was little to me probably meant alot to these ladies...

Reet xx

9. Re: Tipping Maids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 08:17