We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing food into Australia - CASHEW nut factory

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
367 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing food into Australia - CASHEW nut factory

Can i/has anyone else brought cashew nuts back into Australia?

Is it ok as long as they are in original packaging?

I would LOVVVE to bring home some cashews!

Mandurah, Western...
Level Contributor
443 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing food into Australia - CASHEW nut factory

Hi Kimberlyjane,

I had no problems bringing back cashews from the Cashew nut factory in Phuket. Like u mentioned as long as there are sealed and aren't the raw nuts still in the shell you should have no problems. They definately are yummy and so much to choose from, my mouth is watering now!!

Cheers

Cindy

bangkok
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing food into Australia - CASHEW nut factory

kimberleyjane

if you go to customs or AQIS website you will see that all nuts and seeds are banned from entry into the country unless done thru an official import program where the source has been verified as disease and pest free. you need an import license to do this.

bkk3

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing food into Australia - CASHEW nut factory

As long as you declare them I don't see you having a problem. They will look at the packaging and decide. As long as you do the right thing in declaring your food items I bet you will get them through. When you try to hide your goods thats when the trouble starts. I think fruit is the main no no.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing food into Australia - CASHEW nut factory

Declare it and be prepared to loose it.... But don't for one moment think that you can sneak it through.. the X-ray machine will have a fieldday....... Nuts and seeds are on "the NOT wanted list" as are all fruit, dairy product... even the 3 in 1 coffee satchels are confiscated.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing food into Australia - CASHEW nut factory

HI Kimberleyjayne

We had no problems getting cashew nuts back thru customs, just make sure you declare them and they are unopened, sealed still in packaging. I am leaving in 4 weeks to go to Phuket and can't wait to taste those delicous cashew nuts again

Kelly

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing food into Australia - CASHEW nut factory

mosegrisen,

We have bought cashew nuts, coffee mate, donuts, sweets, biscuits etc through Brisbane customs. I always do the right thing and declare and have never had anything confiscated. Does it depend on who you have searching you or whether they are in a hurry or just whether they don't like the look of you, your goods would then be confiscated ?.....

Very interesting. A while ago there was a question bought up about the elephant dung paper. Some got it through and some didn't...

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing food into Australia - CASHEW nut factory

Beezely.. I can not comment on who the customs police like on dislike.. or why some confiscate things and others may not.. I simply don't bring anything... saves time for me..

However I very often see people being searched.. and handing over things that surprises even I... But if you have the time to spare.. why not experiment... I just can't be bothered!

melbourne
Level Contributor
140 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing food into Australia - CASHEW nut factory

We brought back 3 boxes in April. No problems just declare them and you can also get a certificate from the cashew nut factory as well. Janet

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing food into Australia - CASHEW nut factory

hiya,

We came through Sydney customs and declared that we had cashew nuts covered in sesame seeds and coconut cooked in sugar also from cashew nut factory and had no problems at all. Scanned our bags everything was ok. :)

cheers,

Sharon

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bringing food into Australia - CASHEW nut factory

Hi There,

In our experiance when coming through customs in Australia,

we declare everything we are not sure about.

We have never had a problem ( with nuts coffee chocolate etc )

but we seem to get through much more quickly than the people who don't declare anything, so it definately is not a waste of time!!

The customs guys are great so long as you are honest.

Lindy.