We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Covermore Travel Insurance

australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Topic
Covermore Travel Insurance

Just need some help with Covermore Travel Insurance for those of you that have used this company.

How much did it cost you? I was not sure which cover to select. They had three options:

Plan 1 $280 Plan 1B $204 and Plan SM $144

I think Plan 1 gives you more. Just wondering what plans you chose.

I have always used our gold credit card and was told by the bank that the insurance with the card is not as good as it used to be.

Thank you

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Covermore Travel Insurance

Hi Kaney

I have taken our insurance with Covermore via Travelscene travel agents. I also have the Covermore brochure from another travel agent and although it's the same Insurance service the amounts of cover and prices are different. For example the 'Cash in Hosptital' in the Travelscene brochure is $8,000 while in the Covermore brochure it's $1,000. We took the Travelscene one because we are going to rent a car while there and this one included that while the other one you had to purchase it separately, so it was just convenient

The amount you pay also depends on how long you want the coverage for, how many people, how old you are and whether you want a nil excess. Our insurance is for 2 people (under 50) which also covers our 18 & 17 yos, for 14 days with a nil excess. Cost was $278

Cheers, Jan

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Covermore Travel Insurance

I should have said it covers the insurance excess for rental cars (4,000)

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,927 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Covermore Travel Insurance

Kaney, Covermore Insurance is issued by Vero, check the Westpac Bank website as their insurance is also issued by Vero and for a family of 4 for 14 days is $174 with 4000 car excess, $12,000 cash in hospital etc.

We took our quote last year from Westpac to Flight Centre and they matched the price as both policies are issued by the same company. Saved us quite a lot of money as the insurance was for just over 2 months. You are paying a lot of commission by buying from a travel agents. So compare with an online quote with Westapc.

Cathy

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Covermore Travel Insurance

Just as well we got ours for half price then...they had a special on the day I went in. I'll know to go with WBC next time

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Covermore Travel Insurance

Just as well we got ours for half price then...they had a special on the day I went in. I'll know to go with WBC next time

australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Covermore Travel Insurance

Thanks to everyone for their help with travel insurance. I think I will be using the insurance via the westpac bank. It works out to about $200 for a family of four.

sydney
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Covermore Travel Insurance

Check out out a couple of differences I found...

Luggage:

Cover-More Options $12,000 per adult

Westpac Holiday $6,000 per adult

Rental Car Excess Cover:

Cover-More Options $4,000

Westpac Holiday $2,000

Passport and Travel Doc's Replacement:

Cover-More Options $12,000

Westpac Holiday $500

I got my info from http://www.covermore.com.au

Plus I saw an article in the newspaper the other day that said Cover-More was covering thousands of Australians affected by Thailand airport closures and many other insurers were not.

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Covermore Travel Insurance

You should also check the fine print of Westpac as i have heard through some firends that a lot of the credit cards/banks dont cover for terrorism. My cousin was in Mumbai when they had the terrorist attacks and fortunately she was covered. She said that Covermore were very helpful and gave her re-assurance of what she can do. And another work colleague of mine was with AAMI insurance and they were not covered with the Thailand issues.

So my advice is read everything and ask if you are covered for terrorism and things like civil unrest.

Im using Covermore for my next trip to Vietnam in June.

Heaven
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Covermore Travel Insurance

Hi everyone,

I understand that certain insurer premiums are cheaper, but what is most important is when it comes down to the crunch - paying claims. Has anybody had experience (good or bad) with making a claim from a covermore policy?

Thank you

Australia
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Covermore Travel Insurance

Not too certain about Covermore - as I stick to 1Cover (www.1cover.com.au) for my travel insurance... but the general standard is that buying direct online is cheaper. Cuts out the middle man.

Although on the surface some may not seem comparable, you can always upgrade different options on a policy to make it what you want - similar to car insurance. For example if you want to insure a digital camera or laptop that you plan to take with you. Most policies have a standard limit of $500 for personal items. In many cases, this can be upgraded to $5000 limit just by paying a higher premium. Yes this can be done online.

Just make sure you always read the fine print! The PDS is essential - although boring - to read. I learnt the hard way about replacement value for some items. Some policies will have 'market value' for replacement, while others will offer a 'new for old' replacement value. Some apply depreciation to any items they will pay you for - and this can be a pretty decent amount of depreciation.

Hope this helps