We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why do you keep going back.....

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
925 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Why do you keep going back.....

Hi to all,

I've read endless times of people going to Patong for the 3rd 4th 5th and more times.....What is it that attracts you there when there's so many other beautiful places to visit?

People have asked us the same question...Why not go somewhere else this time?

Interested in your views & what it is that keeps drawing you back as soon as you arrive home!!!!

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why do you keep going back.....

hi waz

Banana pancakes LOL ;) no not really (but they are one thing)

the people, they are always so happy, smiling and friendly, we always have a laugh and joke with them, and always sad to leave them, and always happy to go back and see them again

the weather, even in the wet its just great

the atmosphere,

the food,

the massages

the resorts, no matter where you stay they are all great and they treat you like royalty (they have us anyway, no problems anywhere)

the beaches, (although our beaches in Australia beautiful too)

the cocktails(pina colada's by the pool)

there is always something to do and see, and even after so may times always have a new place to go to next time, and even re-visit old places we have been to many times and still just a great

the markets (Otop my favourite)

yes there are lots of places in the world to go but we always get drawn back to Thailand, it just gets into your system and have to go back time after time, always base in Patong, love it, and travel from there, going to Khao Lak aswell this year cant wait for that,

we always get asked that same question, but unless people have been they just wont get it :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why do you keep going back.....

3 visits and we still love Patong as a place to base ourselves for a week.

We love the shopping, we tend to get all our shopping, tours and sight seeing done in the first week then move elsewhere to relax for a week - perfect way to spend a holiday.

I love everything about Phuket, the atmosphere, its so vibrant and there is always something to look at or listen to, we love to shop in the markets and the wood carving stores, the food is brilliant and so much nicer than Thai food at home.

We love Surin Beach, the Holiday Inn and taking tours to new beaches and destimations each time, there is always something more to see and do.

The people are so lovely, so welcoming and humble, a visit to Thailand makes you realise that there is so much more to life than worrying about the trivial things in life.

Patong itself may not be the most beautiful place but it has all you need and is a great place to base yourself for sights and tours.

Our next trip will not see us visit Phuket - as you say there are simply to many other destinations to visit so we are heading to Chian Main and perhaps Hoh Samui or Koh Tao.........bring it on!

Sailing
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Why do you keep going back.....

Friends , mostly expats and some locals.

vancouver
Level Contributor
143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why do you keep going back.....

Mossy043..I could have written exactly what you said!..Always have fun,make friends,sad to leave.Cant wait to return.Lets face it phuket and thailand are an addiction.We are currently planning our third consecutive trip to phuket area,for next february.Like you also said."what is it that makes us start planning as soon as we get home.I guess were all just junkies looking for another fix...See you on the island!!

Penrith
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why do you keep going back.....

Hi waz

I suppose it's the friendly Thais that make this a special place.

The dollar goes a lot further than in other countries.

The only other place that compares in friendlyness that I have been is Western Samoa (totaly different culture), but I get three times the length of stay in Phuket.

70 days to go for the 3rd time & can't wait

Harry

Australia
Level Contributor
925 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Why do you keep going back.....

OMG tw0travel, you're so right - it's an addiction. It's just so magical that you crave for the next fix. Could think of far worse things to be addicted to LOL

Like you said mossy043 it's all those things & more....

We have thought of perhaps going elsewhere this time around but think what if we don't love it the same. Also, like you said - people wouldn't know unless they've been.

So i guess, yes we'll be seeing you there once again. Bring it on, can't wait!!!

Cheers

Waz

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why do you keep going back.....

Yeah! a big addiction, so big that that when we not there we spend all our time on TA talking about it LOL :)

cant wait to go back, usually go in May/June but its Sept for us this year so longer to wait now, but going for 3 weeks YAY!

like you say Waz, we have looked up other places and always ends up too higher price compared with what we can get in Thailand, and then maybe won't like it as much, and to holiday anywhere else in Australia costs twice as much if not more,(so that will come when we are older and have a caravan) so for us it will be Thailand for many more years yet and looking forward to every time we go there :)

oh yes! and tuk tuk rides, even though a lot of people dont like them for their arrogance now, we always like a ride in tuk tuks, its part of Thailand, and i must say we have never had a problem with them

what about dislikes if there are any? does anyone have any? ours is only the tailors in your face

Australia
Level Contributor
925 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Why do you keep going back.....

Hey mossy043, Some of the smells are pretty rank (The corner of beach & bangla rds) & the guys with the curry menus in your face (especially first thing in the morning when you've just had breakfast) It's all a laugh tho.....We pretty much just go with the flow, love it all. Just as well you can get your fix on here till next visit like you say LOL

We're off 30 April so not having to suffer withdrawals quite as long as you!!!!

Hey forgot to say the fish smells early hours of the morning when heading home with a belly full of grog.......................

Waz

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why do you keep going back.....

waz

have a great holiday :)

just make sure you dont pass the rank smell (corner beach&bangla rd), the curry and fish smells all at once, sure thing for a hangover cure! LOL :)

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why do you keep going back.....

Thailand certainly is an amazing place, but I think your question is directed at Patong and why people head there.

Where people head for their well earned holidays is entirely without question their own choice, your holiday, your money.

No one can can one place is better or wose than another.

Ok - go that out the way :)

Thailand has amazing diversity, there are lots of beaches and islands with their own style, plus amazing places away from the beaches where you can visit wonderous places.

Treading here with care and trying to balance.....I do wonder why though some, though not all, do not venture to see other places in Thailand.

It comes down to what you want out of your holiday - as has been said many times : Patong is not all there is to Phuket and Phuket is not all there is to Thailand !

If you visit other places and decide Patong is for you, sure, up to you.

But if you have not visited other places in Thailand, in my humble opinion you are missing out big time.