We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport - Thailand/Patong

Australia
Level Contributor
925 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Passport - Thailand/Patong

I can not believe that the expiry date on your passport (July 10) is not valid for travel now!!! (Travelling April 30 to Phuket) Apparently, there must be at least 6 months left before expiry date shown (entering Thailand this is) Really freaking out bigtime...only 8 working days left to get a renewal from Sydney & residing in Brisbane ($340 Urgent Service) God damn it, agents need to make this clear when booking tickets.

I was not aware of this - are you?????

perth
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport - Thailand/Patong

Yep, all countries require 6 month validity on passports entering

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
401 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport - Thailand/Patong

I can't believe you didn't know that Waz, given that this will be your fourth trip. At least you'll know it for next time. And don't worry about your passport arriving, they'll make sure you get it if you've paid for the Urgent Service. Have a great time once all the stress settles!

Cheers, Lynne

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport - Thailand/Patong

It's pretty widely practised, and industry standard, although I read a thread recently which suggested Japan doesn't have this restriction.

How did you find out about it, at this late stage? Talking to a friend? Something you read in the paper?

Australia
Level Contributor
925 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport - Thailand/Patong

OMG, nothing like feeling like an idiot......

Stressing....what if I don't get it back on time, guess my holidays down the tubes (tears!!) :(

Posting off application tomorrow Mon.19th (Express Mail)

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport - Thailand/Patong

"$340 Urgent Service"

Ouch, expensive lesson. You'll need to hang around the Thailand forums more often because the 6 months passport validity is mentioned quite often.

Australia
Level Contributor
925 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport - Thailand/Patong

Hi Fourb2,

Was just going thru tickets and paper work & noticed it in the fine print on the back of travels agents paper work....

I have travelled many times and have NEVER been aware of this. : (

victoria
Level Contributor
121 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport - Thailand/Patong

Hi Waz. We will be there when you are. We have been aware of the rule for a few years . Our Travel Agents actually highlites it our our forms for us each year. Where are you staying? Might see you in Patong.....perhaps!!

Francesca

victoria
Level Contributor
121 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport - Thailand/Patong

Hi Waz. We will be there when you are. We have been aware of the rule for a few years . Our Travel Agents actually highlites it our our forms for us each year. Where are you staying? Might see you in Patong.....perhaps!!

Francesca

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport - Thailand/Patong

This is a standard requirement through out Asia. Has been for as long as I can remember and we have been going to Asia since the early 80's

Linda

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport - Thailand/Patong

In the old days, when we used a travel agent, she insisted on seeing our passports and photocopying them when we booked our tickets.

Edited: 18 April 2010, 03:42
Get answers to your questions about Patong