We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harassment from salespeople from Absolute group.

Uk
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Harassment from salespeople from Absolute group.

If you have the misfortune to be staying anywhere near the Seapearl , you will be approached every day by these people.Some are really aggressive and I saw one Thai rep. really abusing a farang who did n't buy a property after the Thai had arranged for him to attend a promotion, claiming that he had lost thousands of baht in commission.Be warned..

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harassment from salespeople from Absolute group.

yes thats true, if anyone approaches you( Thai, English, European, doesn't matter which) and asks you to do a scratchie for a prize, don't be in it! the next step is to attend the "presentation" that is 90 min, and thats where they try sell you timeshare, and we have heard so many bad stories about that.

the guys trying to get you to do a scratchie will tell you they are not selling anything, well they're not really, just trying to set up the "presentation" and they are not just on the south end of Patong they travel around on mopeds, seen them in Bangla Rd in the daytime too

another one is at Kata Viewpoint, getting people to fill out a survey then they call you at your resort and say you have won a holiday (a free week)? same thing you have to go to a "presentation" , our friends almost got caught into that one!

just be aware of this if you are a newby

perth
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Harassment from salespeople from Absolute group.

They are the scum of Thailand and with the rest of the scammers give the place a bad name.

Here is some more reading material on these scammers

bangkokscams.com/scams-in-thailand/holiday-c…

And if you do get conned into signing any contracts with these pricks here is a web site set up to help you retrieve your money back.

http://www.absolutescam.viviti.com/

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
583 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Harassment from salespeople from Absolute group.

I just returned and really was glad to get back home. The people should be hounded out. between them and the stallholders I was glad to get back to the hotel at night. They just dont take no for an answer.

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Harassment from salespeople from Absolute group.

You just have to say NO NO NO NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They will get it then, and some have swarn at us, but whose holiday is this??

We don't spend thousands of dollars to come on holidays and be hassled like this.

After saying no don't don't say another thing , don't look at them, just walk on.

This has worked for us the last few years!!

Lindy.

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Harassment from salespeople from Absolute group.

We don't know what's happened in Karon and Kata but we've only been approached twice over the last six days. Bliss!

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Harassment from salespeople from Absolute group.

that's great to hear Mrs J, lets hope we've seen the back of them now!

lucky you being there already, have fun :)

Patong
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Harassment from salespeople from Absolute group.

Ask to see their work permit.

They are required, by law, to carry a work permit with them. If somebody hops off the back of a bike and hands you a scratch-off card, ask to see their work permit, and when they act flustered, tell them you're looking for a cop.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Harassment from salespeople from Absolute group.

We always just smile, say no thanks and keep walking. It's always worked for us.

Moss Vale Australia...
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Harassment from salespeople from Absolute group.

Yes I am back recently from Patong and the Absolute people were out there in large numbers and harassing people every day more then once I was asked by the same people zooming around on motor bikes, They were nearly as bad as the taylors,

adelaide
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Harassment from salespeople from Absolute group.

we returned from patong about 6 weeks ago and found that by simply saying, "no i don't want a scratchie and i don't have 4 hrs to go to your seminar"....they realised you knew what they were up to and moved on....

the annoying thing is having to do it about 20 times....

i didn't get to bottom of it as they seem to take any willingness to stop and talk as a sign of weakness, but on bangla rd they were trying to suck people in by offering free beer....don't know how this works but i'm tipping the 'free beer' becomes quite expensive....it was being touted by people wearing 'absolute' t-shirts trying to say they sponsor some sort of festival???

personally i found the indian tailors to be the biggest pains in the backside...

Edited: 08 May 2010, 14:53
Get answers to your questions about Patong