We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist Warning

Qld
Level Contributor
256 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Tourist Warning

If you are travelling to Phuket, please do not answer any surveys that anyone asks you to complete. They will tell you they are working with the tourism board or the government to promote tourism as the numbers are down at the moment. They travel on mopeds and are backpackers working illegally. They may be dressed as beautiful women just past cusoms in the airports, or wellspoken locals at tourist points. Beware they are all not selling anything but they do ask for your details and you will be contacted. YOU will be asked to to attend a presentation of 90 min to collect any prize you have supposedly won, and it will always win you a weeks holiday that you will have to pay a booking fee that is over $100. They are promoting holiday clubs aka time share. Even if you ask them direct are they timeshare? they tell you to your face they are not. If you have nothing to do with your time, all is well, however we did not appreciate being lied to and tricked. Please ensure you warn anyone you know who is travelling there. If people know then they can be prepared.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Elizabeth Andaman Tour
River Rafting & Tubing, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Speed Boats Tours
Friendly Taxi & Tours Phuket
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
1. Re: Tourist Warning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 June 2010, 05:27
Melb
Level Contributor
593 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist Warning

Hi sorry you got caught, there is more information on these threads.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?scope=2&ff=5037&geo=293920&q=time+share&returnTo=__2F__&sub-search.x=18&sub-search.y=3

and probably others.

enjoy

shway

Thailand
Level Contributor
815 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourist Warning

Just checking over some blogs a week or so on this matter. Seems like these 'timeshare' are often offering very fair deals.

$100 booking fees etc... for a weeks free accommodation etc...

I can only come across complaints from tourists 'harassed' by timeshare people but can't find any complaints from tourists who have actually accepted their bargain offers.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
44,671 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourist Warning

Rose tinted glasses provide very little protection to the sun!!

Qld
Level Contributor
256 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourist Warning

I believe that they may be a little embarrassed. I have no problem with the promotion of holiday clubs or timeshare, my issue is the way they are pretending to be working with the government tourist board and lie to your face just to get you to listen to their presentation. If it was such a good deal there would be no need for the high level of deceit and trickery. The old business saying of if it looks too good to be true it probably is !!!!!

West Aust
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourist Warning

One guy hassled me out at one of the viewpoints, trying to persuade me to fill in a "thai tourism" survey thingy, but it seemed suss to me cause one of the questions was about how much money we earned. Anyway, I filled it in which made him very happy, but used a false name (Jo Bloggs) and hotel details :-)

perth
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourist Warning

@max_expat

Check out this site..... these are genuine complaints from genuine ppl who have genuinely scammed by the Absolute Scum

bangkokscams.com/scams-in-thailand/holiday-c…

Brisbane
Level Contributor
63 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourist Warning

Time share selling has been around for 20 years in Thailand,

pattaya and phuket

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Level Contributor
63 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tourist Warning

Time share selling has been around for 20 years in Thailand,

pattaya and phuket

No different to Queensland, Trendwest and other companies selling timeshare

Mentioned in this post
Queensland
Queensland
Australia
usa
Level Contributor
224 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tourist Warning

yep same thing happened at mascot airport to us 2years ago,and thats in australia.its fun to say NO THANKS,,

Get answers to your questions about Patong