We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket Town - Stay up all night waiting for the ferry?

Bad Windsheim...
Level Contributor
266 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Phuket Town - Stay up all night waiting for the ferry?

Hi everybody,

we arrive very late at Phuket Town (about 1:30am) and want to go on the ferry at 8am.

My question: would you say it is possible to spend the night "on the streets" in Phuket Town? Or not advisable? Any good advise?

Best from Germany, Birgit

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket Town - Stay up all night waiting for the ferry?

Where are you going by ferry? Most ferrys leave from Chalong. You could hang out at the pier, or nearby. There is a Police Station at Chalong, that in theory should make it reasonably safe, also some bars, that will probably close at 2-00am. 7/11 nearby to buy up goodies also.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket Town - Stay up all night waiting for the ferry?

I wouldn't spend the nigh on the streets 'anywhere' in the world :)LOL

Just get a hotel room, perhaps B 500-700 for the night. Guess you would want some sleep and also to take a shower and change clothes.

Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
909 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket Town - Stay up all night waiting for the ferry?

I hate arriving at that hour of the night.

I'd say, either go somewhere like On On Hotel (which is not far from the bus station as i assume that's where you are arriving ) although I'd make sure you email them or call to make sure they are going to be awake.

I think rooms there are only 200 baht.

Or, hang around the bus station at one of the restaurant's there that should be open and drink coffee all night. That could be a good option to find a tuk tuk or transportation over to the Rassada pier for the ferry at 8:30 AM.

I'd consider Phuket town to be a safe place although of course, at that hour, you will possibly have to deal with some drunks. Just be careful.

There are plenty of other hotels but I am assuming you are trying to save money.

Bad Windsheim...
Level Contributor
266 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket Town - Stay up all night waiting for the ferry?

Thanks for your messages. Yes, I am trying to save some money (I do not think I could sleep well these - let´s say - 4 hours, too).

We will take the ferry at 8:30 from Rassada? pier to Koh Phi Phi.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,677 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phuket Town - Stay up all night waiting for the ferry?

Yes, nearly all ferries to Phi Phi leave from Rassada Pier, Phuket Town. There are no fixed ferries leaving from Chalong, only the hotel transport to Racha Yai.

I would recommend a good nights sleep, and not just hanging around.

Edited: 26 June 2010, 05:11
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phuket Town - Stay up all night waiting for the ferry?

there are plenty of cheap guesthouses around.. I would be checking in freshening up and having some rest so you can enjoy yourself when you get to phi phi and not just wanting to check in and go to bed..

cheers

Chelle

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phuket Town - Stay up all night waiting for the ferry?

Living in a tropical climate, some consideration for those around you is in order.

At least find somewhere to take a shower.

Bad Windsheim...
Level Contributor
266 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phuket Town - Stay up all night waiting for the ferry?

Thanks for your advise... I will check for a nice guesthouse within easy reach in Phuket Town.

Best from Germany, Birgit

9. Re: Phuket Town - Stay up all night waiting for the ferry?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Patong