We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elephants

amsterdam
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Elephants

Hi Guys and Gals

I can see there several places for trekking on elephants but actually not a big fan of this use of animals...is there any kinda place where you can just go and see the elephants and maybe learn a little bout them.....or an i just been niave

Thanks

Noel

australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elephants

The Elephants are a big tourist draw in Thailand so most places are there for the rides, we found Siam Trekking gives you a bit of an insight into elephants, im sure there are refuges for elephants you can look up

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elephants

Hey duball....Like yourself,I am also not a fan of trekking on elephants or even the use of animals such as for work,racing and circus....

One must remember that a baby animal must be broken(spirit) in,in order to be ridden or used for other purposes....

Anyway,Elephant Nature Park in Chiang Mai is the true reserve caring for elephants and donations and seeing and caring for these animals are greatly appreciated.....

You can observe the elephants on Phuket but keep in mind that places do keep them chained up and I personally don't think it's a good sight....

And no,you're not naive by any means....!!

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Elephants

Hey duball and coco, what about using animals for eating ? If I eat an elephant, is that ok ?

4. Re: Elephants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2011, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Patong