We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Safes

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tuross Head...
Level Contributor
150 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Safes

Does everyone use the in room safes for their cash etc. I had money taken last year in Borneo at a 5* place and I couldnt prove it . So am abit unsure , is it best to put all behind the reception ? Would like to know what you guys do on your trips ?? I always carry my cards with me . Hope you can help.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Safes

There have been a few threads on this subject recently. Do a search and you should find a few useful tips. We always use the room safe and have never had a problem. If you're really concerned use the safety deposit box at reception

Tuross Head...
Level Contributor
150 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Safes

Thanks Magpie, I suppose once bitten .....Saw the youtube thread on it and felt sick as that is what happened ,so easy.Maybe wont happen again !

Levin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1 post
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Safes

We always use the in-room safes and have never experience any problems. Maylasia, Thailand, Japan, Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore and USA.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Safes

Eh, I would be wary of both. Like you said, you can't prove anything if something happens. I've met people who left money in a sealed envelope at the reception and some bills were taken out with the envelope carefully reglued. Think of it this way - they will likely never see you again and their wages are very very low. It's tempting.

I always only pull out the money I need from the ATM. You can get a checking account that has no international transaction or withdrawal fees. That's what I have.

If you have to, try hiding money in a pocket of a piece of clothing. I doubt anyone is going to go through dozens of pieces of clothing and look for something you may have put in one pocket.

If you're bringing a suitcase, you can also lock it on top of that with your own lock. Or if there are lockers, bring your own lock, so that only you have the key or the code.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Safes

I always use the in-room safe box and never experienced any problem. That's strange. You're the only one who knows the password but I'm not sure if there is some secret way to open it !

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Safes

It's SE Asia. I'm sure they have figured out a way into it. ;)

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,830 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Safes

All room safes would have a master key or master code held by someone in management at the hotel. We have been using room safes for 20 years and never had a problem.

If your hotel room does not have one then use the safety deposit boxes at reception, there are usually 2 keys to these, you have one and the hotel has the other, the safe will only open when both keys are used. So maybe this will make you feel a bit safer. But like I said we have used both and never had problems.

Cathy

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Safes

We always use the room safes and have never had a problem but all hotels have a code to open the safe, this is to open the safe if someone forgets to open it when they leave or deliberately closes it just for fun however, only the manager or owner should have this number.

Tuross Head...
Level Contributor
150 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Safes

Hi petengineer , look at youtube ( I cant remember the actual video I saw ) but was shocked they have an overide password in case you forget or the safe doesnt open for you they can do it for you . Check it out or someone on here might have the link !

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,336 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Safes

On most hotel room safes, there is a panel (usually on the front door of the safe) that can be removed to reveal either a key hole or a 'code reset' button to access the safe.

The hotel manager will usually be responsible for holding and delegating the safe override key/s, however, pretty much any staff member or even another guest, can 'reset' the room safes code in order to open it if they know what they are doing. (which they would seeing as though they are busy tampering with your safe)

You will know if this has occurred because you will not be able to open the safe with the code you initially set, or worse, the safe door will still be open.

The most secure situation is where the hotel writes down everything you hand them to lock in their safety deposit box. Exact amounts of money, descriptions of jewellery, passport numbers ect.

This way, if something goes missing (highly unlikely) you will have the necessary evidence of what was handed over to the hotel and they will surely be fully liable for any instance of theft to those belongings.

Get answers to your questions about Patong