We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pattaya or phuket

KOLKATA
Level Contributor
129 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
pattaya or phuket

confused between pattaya or phuket. Which is better. We are 2 adult+2 children Planning to go in mid-october.We have heard phuket is more expensive in all aspect i.e. in water sports ,hotels, food, Also concerned about the weather in october.Kindly suggest..

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: pattaya or phuket

The weather in both places will be very wet in October. Phuket is an island with many resort areas, Pattaya is a city.

Phuket is more expensive in almost every respect than Pattaya, but Phuket's beaches are far superior, in fact the beaches in the centre of Pattaya are not suitable for swimming as the water is not clean. Beaches just to the north and south of Pattaya are better, but still not as good as Phuket.

Pattaya has a lot for kids (and adults) but it also has a sleazy reputation. Having said that, plenty of families visit Pattaya and have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Pattaya
Pattaya
Chonburi Province, Thailand
Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,785 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pattaya or phuket

Phuket has better beaches but higher costs. Pattaya is cheaper but loads to do. If beach isnt so important then Pattaya is your choice hands down. Both are known for their nightlife and no sleazy than the other. :)

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Pattaya
Pattaya
Jordan Valley
Level Contributor
130 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pattaya or phuket

Pattaya is HORRIBLE I wouldn't recommend it for a family holiday - seedy and disgusting, regret that I ever went there. Not sure how you'd feel being pestered by hourds of lady's and men looking to have a good time. It's good for those looking for a sex holiday but I think unsuitable for a family one.

We stayed outside the main part but still found it distateful and were sorry that we didn't go somewhere else.

I've been to Thailand 5 times but hated Pattaya. Was in Phuket 6 years ago and found Patong a little commercial for our taste but revisited 3 years ago and went to Kata Beach which was much nicer, not too commercial and the beaches very nice.

We also went to Krabi and Phi Phi which we preferred. At the end of the day it just depends on your taste and what kind of holiday you are looking for.

Mentioned in this post
Pattaya
Pattaya
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
6,748 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
952 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,785 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pattaya or phuket

Pattaya is quite fine - ignore the above because obviously she obviously has no clue. If you are worried about prostitution better not travel anywhere in SEA. ;)

Pattaya is a prime destination for familes and singles alike. In fact the same families return year after year because its less expensive and it has so much to offer.

Mentioned in this post
Pattaya
Pattaya
Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pattaya or phuket

Hi,

I have been to both Pattaya and Phuket many times and IMHO would recommend for a family with children Phuket.

Mentioned in this post
Pattaya
Pattaya
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Jordan Valley
Level Contributor
130 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pattaya or phuket

I do have a clue, been there and done that.

Have been to Thailand 5 times, but everyone has different tastes, I was recommended by a good friend to go to Pattaya inspite of my daughter warning me that it wasn't for me.

My daughter was right and we HATED it. Everyone has there own opinion, we found it cheap, tacky and didn't like it.

Mentioned in this post
Pattaya
Pattaya
New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: pattaya or phuket

we found it cheap, tacky and didn't like it.

what did you want it to be--expensive & cosmopolitan?

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,785 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: pattaya or phuket

Well take it from someone who lives here.... ;)

Jordan Valley
Level Contributor
130 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: pattaya or phuket

Glad you agree with me - I wouldn't go there again if I had a free ticket and hotel to stay !!!!

Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: pattaya or phuket

The Hilton Pattaya ( nomited for top hotel awards ) plus the Sheraton are pretty much full all the time.

The Marriott and Hard Rock Hotel ( only Hard Rock Hotel in Thailand ), Zign, D2, the Royal Cliff, Holiday Inn, Centara Mirage down to places like Four Season Place and many others are popular and busy

Who do you think stays in these places ?

Many places get packed when they have stars from Asia visiting and performing, recently in particular masses from Korea flocking there, Yachting regattas, tennis championships, Golf championships.

The Pattaya Floating Market is one of the biggest and most popular attractions.

If you head into central Pattaya expecting beautiful beaches you will not find it, tough to think of cities on the water that have great beaches but they do exist. But it costs as little at US$1 for a ride to Koh Larn island.

If you then had straight into the nightlife areas then you will only see a small part of Pattaya.

Pattaya is not a tropical island, but it attracts millions of visitors a year including the largest group which are in fact Thai people, mostly families and couples.

Accommodation and in partiular transport costs are way lower than other resort areas, so it is a bargain. There are however top end very expensive places to stay.

People will stay at top end hotels villa suites, play golf, go sailing, dine at class restaurants, visit Alangkarn Cultural sow, the Santuary of Truth, Nong Nook gardens, day trip to Koh Larn etc and have a wonderful time. Thai classic music and dance with dinner at Ruen Thai etc.

Andy LOL:) yes in fact it can be ! Spot the Ferrari's at he Hilton at a weekend :....

Edited: 18 May 2011, 13:26
Mentioned in this post
Royal Cliff Beach Hotel
Royal Cliff Beach Hotel
1,193 Reviews
Pattaya, Thailand
Mirage
Mirage
192 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Pattaya
Pattaya