We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seafood on Ice

melbourne
Level Contributor
461 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Seafood on Ice

Just wanting to find out what the safest option for eating seafood, is it ok if its sitting on ice, and or fresh in tanks etc, my husband is a big seafood lover and just know he wont be able to resist having fresh seafood cooked for him!

Is there a place anyone can reccomend to have a great seafood meal, or a seafood market where they cook what you purchase?

I have read something about it on TA, but cant remember where!

Thanks

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
864 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seafood on Ice

As an ex fishmonger - the seafood on ice is fine, i've eaten it multiple times every time i have been to phuket - but i suggest taking your time picking out what you want.

Don't pick prawns with black heads

Don't pick fish with eyes that are glazed or sunken into the fish

Squid should be relatively odourless, so if it is on the nose it's no good.

Crabs and Crays are generlaly harder to tell. Pick a crab up - if it feels weighty in your hand for it's size - it should be ok.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,732 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seafood on Ice

In general, be very careful with seafood, which is one of the main causes from tommy problems.

Be especially careful with seafood on ice, and make sure it has not been out too long in the baking sun, but is still good, see the tips above.

melbourne
Level Contributor
461 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seafood on Ice

Thankyou, so it is just best to be picky with what you choose.

If eating in a resturant where you can't tell what you are getting is it generally going to be ok, do many resturants have their seafood on show?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seafood on Ice

All the crays looked fine on the restaurants on the beach road, but when you picked them up and looked underneath, there was a huge difference in how fresh they looked, i.e. a big variation in colour of the flesh. I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but out of 5 or 6 crays I looked at underneath, one looked far better than the rest, a completely different, fresh looking colour. Unfortunately it was the biggest and weighed it came to $180 AUD - ridiculous ! We had crabs instead off the a la carte menu - delicious. Another time we had king prawns off the ice, which are as dear per kg as crayfish, and came to $40 for four, $10 each ! They were so awful we left them on the plate.

There is a market called banzan or something like that. It's out the back of Jungceylon. I've never been but apparently you can buy fresh seafood there much cheaper, and restaurants close by (Hemingways ?) will cook it up for a small fee. Otherwise, IMO, you are better off going a la carte rather than off the ice.

Edited: 25 August 2011, 07:18
melbourne
Level Contributor
461 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seafood on Ice

Thanks for the advice, being one who dos'nt really like or know much about sea food, i think that will be our best option, i would never be sure if what i was picking from ice would be ok. We do however want to mainly eat traditional thai food, so hoping to find a few new dishes we have not had here in OZ.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
416 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seafood on Ice

Is it ??? then better to purchase seafood dishes from the menu - given some of the outrageous costs vs. per 100 grams?? Or no difference?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,497 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seafood on Ice

We have eaten the fish sitting on ice many times but it's always best to eat in a restaurant that's very busy as the fish will be fresh.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Seafood on Ice

ALWAYS avoid oysters--eat them at ur peril

banzzan is great, lots of locals and expats shop therego to the top floor you can get what u want cooked there and eat there, its a real eye opener -should be far cheaper too, from what i read on here the prices have gone thro the roof in phuket, if a resturant asked that sort of money, i,d just laughf and walk away

i ate in savoey seafood on beach rd , that was good, walk down bangla towards the sea, then turn right, its just along a bit, i bet their prices are ridiculous now tho

i bought some fresh cray from somewhere, cant remember-- and my bar girl girl freindtook it to a lady on the beach, she cooked it for me,on charcoal for next to nothing brilliant--thats one of the advantages of befriending a bar girl, they know the ropes!!

btw, use google earth to find places, that way youll be familiar with the layout of the place before u get there

andy

Edited: 25 August 2011, 09:42
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,375 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seafood on Ice

Some good advice above. Breaking this into 2 parts:

The fact that the sefood is on the ice is not a problem (if its the ice you are worried about as it is the cooked.

Steven made a very good point about it sitting in the sun . I am often concerned about alot of the "flash" looking restaurants on beach road, that have it sitting out on display out the front where the sun is on it. Not sure how quick there turn over is and I would hate to eat seafood that had been there all day. Suggest if you really like the look of a place, just keep an eye on it for a day or 2 and see what they do when the SUN is fully on the front of the shop.

There are lots of good places though. There are some open hawkers restaurants on Rat-u-Tuit rd down from Jungcelyon heading north, There seafood tends to be at the back of the area and under cover.

Banzzan Markets are great as Andy said. You can have it cooked for you there as well

Michelle

australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seafood on Ice

as someone who got Giardia from eating seafood on Ice i would only eat it if it was live & cooked fresh in front of me, the seafood on ice isnt fully subnerged in the ice and how long has it been sitting there, hours? days? eat it cooked straight out of the tank safer option.