We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Holiday Inn, Patong really best option?

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
Level Contributor
55 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Is the Holiday Inn, Patong really best option?

This will be our first trip to Phuket and we are travelling at the end of September 2011 with two young children. It has been suggested to us to stay at the Holiday Inn, Patong in a Kid's Suite.

I have read the reviews and looked at the photos and am not sure that it really looks as good as is sounds. It still looks like a tacky HI to me.

Could we do better elsewhere and perhaps be right on a beach? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Also, is this the wet season (end Sept - early Oct)?

Thank you!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Holiday Inn, Patong really best option?

Hi Barberton,

HI is a favourite with many people and has been for many years, location, kids club and pools I think topping the list. Being your first time to Phuket, do you want to be smack bang in the middle of Patong, or would you rather stay out of the 'hub' for some peace and quiet?

Also saying that, once inside the lovely Busakorn wing and HI, you are quite secluded from the outside madness.

Also age of kids will factor into it too, for eg: if you have to push a stroller around then you will want to be a short walking distance to all and sundry.

The Movenpick at Karon is a great family resort, we have sent several newbies there with young children and they loved it. Karon is a lot quieter too but the ocean is a bit rougher there. Also Centara Karon has some great reviews.

The other end of the scale is the Laguna properties, resorts with their 'own' beaches, private villas/ bungalows, but you will need transport to go into Patong. Bang Tao/ Laguna would be a 20-30 minute taxi ride, Karon a 10 minute taxi ride.

Wet season has been late and very wet the last couple of years, but you have to wing it with the weather, you can get lovely hot days with a shower possible during the day in October, ( my favourite time), or it can rain for several days intermittently but still be nice and hot.

All my kids are grown up now, but I'm sure someone else with young kids will have more ideas and suggestions for accomodations for you. Sue

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Holiday Inn, Patong really best option?

Patong isn't really the best bet for kids in Phuket, tho your hotel choice is very nice and big. Just a walk across the street to the beach and walk the other way to access the upper main road in Patong.

Im from USA and Holiday Inns are low on the list but good priced. I have got to say a 100% this has been the nicest Holiday Inn i stayed ever. Had a lower level room with direct access to the pool. Also a great restaurant towards the beach with live entertainment. nice sunsets

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Holiday Inn, Patong really best option?

Holiday Inn is beautiful, an excellent resort. I wouldn't stay there myself because, there are too many children for me lol and its very big. But make no mistake it is a very good choice with small children. We go to HI every morning for coffee (best in Patong IMO) The pools, lounges and bars are all very very nice. Beach directly across the road

The other place you could look at is Patong Merlin. Also gets great reviews .

If HI is worth it or not is personal. but if you want really nice resort with kids club so you can have some time away or so your kids will have friends , HI or Patong Merlin are for you.

If you dont plan on using the kids club, but as you say you want the beach, check out Impiana Phuket Cabanna. Only one of 2 resorts on the beach in Patong. Also very nice great pool , but only one, not swim up bar either. Really nice place stayed there a few years ago.

hope this help

Michelle

Perth
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Holiday Inn, Patong really best option?

Love the HI and thoroughly recommend it for first timers with kids.

All the staff are very kind and patient with children (in my experiences)

I think you will discover it is very different to the two HI's here in Perth particularly.

I have also stayed at the HI Baruna Bali both are beautiful, modern resorts with impeccable service and great for families.

We are heading to Phuket in October but staying at Kata Beach for a change my 10 & 11 year old are devastated we are not staying at the HI

Gismo's suggestion of the Movenpick is spot on too!

australia
Level Contributor
199 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Holiday Inn, Patong really best option?

The Holiday Inn is awesome and your kids will love it. We stay there all the time and our kids love it and don't want to stay anywhere else. if you haven't already booked a kids suite I would get onto it as they are very popular.

We never book the kids suites, just the one room with two beds. The kids club, and the kids pool are great and your kids will have a fantastic time.

The Holiday has the best location, beach opposite, the Otop market at the back. The staff are all very lovely, you won't be dissapointed. We have also stayed out of Patong a little but we all prefer Patong so much more. Once your inside the walls of the resort you don't even realise you are smack bang in the middle of Patong. I

We have also had a look at other resorts whilst we have been there but the Holiday Inn seems to be the best we find anyway for the kids.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Holiday Inn, Patong really best option?

I'm a fan of the Patong Merlin it has lots of great pools etc but the decor is prety old and tired and there is no kids club to speak of. We had some friends stay at the HI and looks very nice to me.

P.S. Yes it is the rainy season.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the Holiday Inn, Patong really best option?

Tacky - very far from it!

Its is a fantastic resort, we have never stayed on the main wing so I can't comment but the Busakorn wing is stunning.

Perth
Level Contributor
55 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the Holiday Inn, Patong really best option?

Thank you everyone for your reply. Since we haven't been to Thailand before, we just want to be sure it is the right place.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
155 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the Holiday Inn, Patong really best option?

I think you will find the kids suites are fully booked for late September/early October this year. We are going on October 3 and they were fully booked months ago. Good luck though :)

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the Holiday Inn, Patong really best option?

We have stayed at HI Patong many times. We have stayed in the main wing in the Family Suites but like everyone has said they are booked out months ahead. There are always heaps of Aussie kids around for that extra friend for the kids. Its also well located for restaurants and a quick shopping trip to OTop markets.

Personally I would never stay in the Kids Suites as they are all located together - I think there are 6 or so of them and whilst I have kids I don't want to be surrounded by others kids, running up the halls, slamming doors etc. I know my kids are guilty of this too but x 6 isn't my kind of holiday. I haven't stayed in Busakorn Wing either as I don't think its fair on others who are having the romantic holiday to have my kids spoiling it :-)

Have you looked at the new Holiday Inn at Maoi Khai which opens 6 September? It is right on the beach with all the same facilities as the Patong one eg. kids club, teen club etc.

This year we are splitting our time between Kata Poolside and HI Maoi Khai.

Get answers to your questions about Patong